Best free 64bit alternative for VOS Thrillseeker LA and DLM SixtyFive (SOLVED!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Free Effects Leveling Tool sixtyfive ThrillseekerLA Vice One Virtual Analog Compressor

I'm using Thrillseeker LA together with DLM Sixtyfive in a vocal chain, both bridged in Reaper 64bit. Lately I run into problems with Thrillseeker during the loading of bigger projects (= several instances of the plugin used). I can currently work with it by running Thrillseeker as a dedicated process, but I want a stable dependable solution for my projects. Basically I want to get rid of all bridged plugins, even if that means saying goodbye to some real favorites.

So (for now) I'm looking for a 64bit alternative to do the 'Level Amplifying' bit in my vocal chain. I looked at DC1A and SLAX but both have too limited controls for me.

I haven't even begun to look for something in place for SixtyFive, as that thing is rather special (but eventually it has to go too).

EDIT: this is now SOLVED!

Here is the post about my vocal chain setup with only DLM SixtyFive to be replaced:
viewtopic.php?p=7476602#p7476602

...and here is the final post about what I found (and now use) in place of DLM SixtyFive:
viewtopic.php?p=7477681#p7477681
Last edited by crimsonwarlock on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Maybe ADHD Audio Leveling Tool?

IMO though nothing can replace Thrillseeker LA
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 am Maybe ADHD Audio Leveling Tool?
Just remembered I downloaded it but not yet installed (and thus tried) it yet. I'll see where it gets me.
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 am IMO though nothing can replace Thrillseeker LA
I do share that sentiment, as it is buttery smooth on my vocal stems. Same goes for DLM SixtyFive; afaik it's the only DBX oriented compressor in the free domain. I modeled my vocal chain after a often used serial (hardware) setup with a LA-2A and a DBX160, and the combination of ThrillSeeker LA and DLM SixtyFive is pretty magical on vocals. I'm afraid I won't get there completely with alternatives.

But I can't risk stuff nog being able to load over time. Hard decisions to make indeed :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

You mentioned you used and didn't like DC1A3 (or maybe 2? You didn't specify), but you didn't say anything about MJUCjr, haven't you tried it?

heavymetalmixer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:43 pm You mentioned you used and didn't like DC1A3 (or maybe 2? You didn't specify), but you didn't say anything about MJUCjr, haven't you tried it?
I have (and tried) both DC1A 2 and 3. MJUCjr (I have it) has the same problem: not enough controls.

The trick in this serial compression vocal chain is that you tune the attack and release speeds for each compressor such that they specifically do different things, and in that way complement each other into a very smooth but extremely leveled vocal sound. The first comp (Thrillseeker LA) does only little top-signal leveling while the second comp (SixtyFive, as it is VERY fast) kinda smashes it, but because the prior leveling there is very little to smash so you don't get any heavy compression artifacts.

It gives you very leveled vocals without almost audible compression, specifically useful in rock-related genres :D

crimsonwarlock wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:24 pm
heavymetalmixer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:43 pm You mentioned you used and didn't like DC1A3 (or maybe 2? You didn't specify), but you didn't say anything about MJUCjr, haven't you tried it?
I have (and tried) both DC1A 2 and 3. MJUCjr (I have it) has the same problem: not enough controls.

The trick in this serial compression vocal chain is that you tune the attack and release speeds for each compressor such that they specifically do different things, and in that way complement each other into a very smooth but extremely leveled vocal sound. The first comp (Thrillseeker LA) does only little top-signal leveling while the second comp (SixtyFive, as it is VERY fast) kinda smashes it, but because the prior leveling there is very little to smash so you don't get any heavy compression artifacts.

It gives you very leveled vocals without almost audible compression, specifically useful in rock-related genres :D
You could try TDR Kotelnikov, it's two compressors in one and it has as free version too.

heavymetalmixer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:31 pm You could try TDR Kotelnikov, it's two compressors in one and it has as free version too.
I have Kotelnikov, as I have most of the free compressors (that are any good) installed. But I think you are missing the point of what Thrillseeker is about. If we talk about LA-style compression, we certainly are not talking about something like Kotelnikov (which is a great compressor in its own right, that I also use regularly).

There is a reason why people use certain types of compression for certain types of tasks. Yes, you could use Kotelnikov (as an example) for a lot of things, but it mainly shines as a mixbuss comp. I have it on my main vocal bus (among other uses) to glue all vocals. Works great. But for the specific task at hand (processing individual vocal stems) there are better approaches. As I said, I'm replicating a well known and often used setup by famous audio engineers..... there's a reason they did/do it this way :D

crimsonwarlock wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 pmI'm replicating a well known and often used setup by famous audio engineers..... there's a reason they did/do it this way :D
You mean the classic Teletronix LA-2A followed by Urei 1176 cascade?

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:01 pm You mean the classic Teletronix LA-2A followed by Urei 1176 cascade?
Yep :D

But instead of the 1176 it is also done with a DBX 160.... and the closest I found for that is/was SixtyFive which has indeed very fast attack times.

.... and of course a little bit of that DBX character.

I'm also running a hardware DBX 286s in my vocal chain as well.

S.LA.X by Sonic Anomaly. LA-style compressor. Have you tried it?

https://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins

I don't know how good it is. And I cannot try all compressors. But it could be useful.

Are you looking for Freeware only?

lobanov wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:13 pm S.LA.X by Sonic Anomaly. LA-style compressor. Have you tried it?
read my opening post, it's in there :lol:

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:15 pm Are you looking for Freeware only?
Yep

Did you already check out Eareckon FR-Comp 87 ?

Return to “Effects”