Arturia Xmas Gift Reverb PLATE-140

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:46 am […] (hence the strange, slowly reacting slider, which essentially changes the underlying impulse response samples). […]
i can count 17 steps of decay time

i look into the installed folder (on mac that is)
/Library/Arturia/Samples/Rev PLATE-140/Arturia/Modern/

what do i see?
17 files

ditto for "Punchy" and "Unreal"

this kind of looks like the plugin is using files (samples) on the volume for...IR ?
and might indicate possibilities for other bigger versions
think: plate pro, spring, chambers ...

i just did a small test:
i moved the installed "Samples/Rev-Plate" folder to another location
sure an behold it immediatly crashed all testhosts (logic, hostingAU) upon plugin insertion

another note:
all those files get bigger the higher their number
i.e.:
"01.rev" is about 624kB
and
"17.rev" is about 4.8MB
so: the shorter the file the shorter the reverb ...

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:16 pm That's not entirely true, almost all across u-he synth range you have voice drift which adds dirt in it.
to quote u-he zebra manual (which is not even a VA)
i'm sorry, but it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

you're comparing apples and oranges, because the keyword here is "synth", not "analog modeling". a synth is an instrument, and a synth with free-running oscillators and drift modeling will indeed not null with itself. in fact, if you try the same test with BFD3 (or any multi-sampled Kontakt instrument, for example), you will notice that it also doesn't null with itself, despite the fact that it is clearly sample-based and not modeled (this has to do with random round-robin of the samples).

effects generally don't do that. you can take any analog-modeled effect you like and do the null test - you'll see that, bar very few effects (u-he Satin, i think Audiority also has a tube preamp that doesn't null with itself EDIT: just tested - it does null with itself, at least on default settings), they will all null perfectly.
Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:16 pm just saying that if you're after "a faithful representation" of a plate, that's not really how a real behaves (being nullable), so it's not "as faithful" or it's not algorithmic.
a real compressor will not perfectly null with itself either, yet analog modeled compressors in plugin form generally do.

hell, you can try it with any other reverb. for example, SKNote's Necklace is a physically modeled spring reverb, and it nulls with itself. SKNote also has modeled plate, that nulls too. Soundtoys Little Plate is modeled, and it nulls with itself. Kush Goldplate is modeled, yet also nulls with itself. I'm pretty sure any other modeled reverb you try, it will also null with itself.

again, if you want to claim that all of the above aren't good enough models - sure, that's your prerogative, but that's entirely besides the point. they're still modeled. physical modeling does not necessarily imply randomization. physically modeled instruments generally do (for example, Pianoteq also doesn't null with itself), physically modeled effects generally don't.
Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:16 pm Not that it inherently means that it's a bad approach or that it's a bad reverb by what i said alone.

but then again, arturia was never known for faithful models in the first place.

again... not arguing that this is in any way the holy grail of anything.
i'm not contesting whether Plate-140 does or doesn't sound good - that is irrelevant. i'm addressing specifically your claim that just because it nulls with itself it is therefore convolution.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:33 pm
yes, you are correct.

Will try it with u-he's twangstrom which is a spring, just out of curiosity

Ploki wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:53 pm Will try it with u-he's twangstrom which is a spring, just out of curiosity
i actually haven't tested that one, would be curious to know if that too nulls with itself, or if u-he added some sort of randomization to the model.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

muki wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:14 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:46 am […] (hence the strange, slowly reacting slider, which essentially changes the underlying impulse response samples). […]
i can count 17 steps of decay time

i look into the installed folder (on mac that is)
/Library/Arturia/Samples/Rev PLATE-140/Arturia/Modern/

what do i see?
17 files
Perhaps they just like the number 17? :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

BTW, still face the same issue as the others (no Activate button, just Buy and Register, both which go to dead ends on the web site). I own a bunch of convo reverbs already, and have tried to install this thing for quite some time now (including reading all of this mega thread). Can't they just give me my Pigments discount for good effort? :D
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

robotmonkey wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:41 pm ...
The problem I have is that some of the license managers are absolute garbage when it comes to usability. I also like to keep my system as clean as possible so I'm not a fan of installing all kind of useless crap on my system. I'm not keen on installing a 300mb software/license manager just for one or two plugins that are usually 10x smaller than that.

In some cases the license manager makes sense - like in the case of Waves or NI - they have hundreds of products. It somewhat makes sense in the case of IK. In some cases it does not make sense at all. A good example is Flux Audio. They just don't have that many plugins to warrant a separate software center.
Once again some understandable criticism about software installers. For Robotmonkey, Izak and others tired of hassleware, bloatware or crappy/cumbersome registration processes (I'm speaking generally here - not targeting Arturia), here's an effort in working for a solution (shortened and clarified here - the thread is at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=535211&start=30 ):
I at least hesitate to download things because I really don't want to go through these processes time and time again. This, in turn, is bad for small or medium-sized devs: the music software market is so saturated that these companies (having little or no financial muscles or perhaps not even a corporate structure) desperately need people to download and try out their software. Fear of encountering yet another problematic download process just to try out a 10 MB VST, makes me thinking twice about trying out software from unknown music software companies.

Another problem I see with a lot of different registration processes is that it makes moving to another computer more difficult. Like one person said here: "it took a week to reinstall the stuff". I personally change computers rather often, as they are leased. I would very much have preferred if I had ONE application listing all my products saying: "Check every of your registered products that you want automatically installed and re-registered." I mean - who wouldn't like that? :wink:

Thus, I argue for a "killer app", as in ONE software installer for all music software companies. I appreciate that someone has to pay for this system. I argue Steinberg - having developed the entire VST standard and generously releasing it to their competitors! - could do this, and in the process, they could benefit from it. For example, let's say the software in question could also have a list of every application that can be installed using it. If so, Steinberg could place their own products first, to attract more users (so for a DAW, everyone would see Cubase before Studio One, FL Studio etc). I honestly wouldn't label programming this app a difficult task - especially as Steinberg has already programmed it. :lol:

Finally, there is no certainty a software company survives for long. Given that we now live in a cloud community, it would be a breeze to have a central repository for all music software (similar to download.com or so), where the old and forgotten software could live on. I'd love to have a few old VSTis back, but I can't find them easily. A cloud-based repository, with a universal music software download installer made by Steinberg and one-click installs - now that's the dream!
Also: thinking of Arturia, I bet they must be hammered by user questions right now. They seem like great people and I bet they'd much rather spend their Christmas doing Christmasy things than sorting out registration issues. :wink:
Go MuLab!

Here's a neat video we did with the Rev Plate-140: Arkeon vs Rev Plate-140 from Arturia (and Others)
CodeUltra Sounds - Makers of ARKEON Join us on Instagram: Daily Production Tips, Cool Art, Synth Stories.

Agree with SparkySpark about need for a universal standard license repository. Unfortunately....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GreyLion wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:19 pm Agree with SparkySpark about need for a universal standard license repository. Unfortunately....
lol nice one.

isn't that what iLok hoped to be?

Yeah, I think iLok comes as close to that as possible. Would be a great candidate if there wasn't so much hate for it out there. Which I frankly don't get. I've never had any problems with it, and really like being able to put all of my licenses in one place.

(... And I hope I haven't triggered another dreary discussion of pros and cons of iLok, with the obligatory mouth foaming... Got tired of that almost ten years ago... If you don't like it, don't use it. Done.)

GreyLion wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:45 pm Yeah, I think iLok comes as close to that as possible. Would be a great candidate if there wasn't so much hate for it out there. Which I frankly don't get. I've never had any problems with it, and really like being able to put all of my licenses in one place.

(... And I hope I haven't triggered another dreary discussion of pros and cons of iLok, with the obligatory mouth foaming... Got tired of that almost ten years ago... If you don't like it, don't use it. Done.)
I'm in the hater camp, but i also use one (when necessary)

I really like the idea, but i think its implementation is not all that and could use a lot of work. I'd totally be up for it, if the software was coded like its 2019 not 2002, and if user support invoked some confidence instead of dread and sorrow.
I guess the problem is that everyone came up with it, so in 2000 you had eLicenser for cubase, Logic Key for Logic, iLok for ProTools, you have the CodeMeter key, and there's probably a few i forgot.
And each one has its pros and cons, but none i've yet found without fault. I personally only use the eLicenser and iLok, and neither feels ideal, had issues with both :D

But the vast vast universe of different licensing methods for each manufacturer aren't great either.
I really hoped Apple would start selling AU plugs through their App store, that way i could at least have all of them on there. But that was a mess as well.

Thanks for the replies re the software installer. Note that I think we would need to make a distinction between installer and licence system - otherwise we would end up with just another, probably unused and loathed :wink:, solution, as in the xkcd strip.

The installer could then connect to iLok, eLicenser or whatever, through a script, or simply not handle licensing at all. Though a universal licenser would of course be awesome, it would be a totally other thing, and would also bring a lot more responsibility to [Steinberg]. I think a universal software installer with a central repository would be helpful enough (and the only thing realistically achievable), so that's what I suggest we push for. I used to be a member of the MMA (MIDI Manufacturer's Association), and perhaps this could be of interest for them to pursue.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:25 pm Thanks for the replies re the software installer. Note that I think we would need to make a distinction between installer and licence system - otherwise we would end up with just another, probably unused and loathed :wink:, solution, as in the xkcd strip.

The installer could then connect to iLok, eLicenser or whatever, through a script, or simply not handle licensing at all. Though a universal licenser would of course be awesome, it would be a totally other thing, and would also bring a lot more responsibility to [Steinberg]. I think a universal software installer with a central repository would be helpful enough (and the only thing realistically achievable), so that's what I suggest we push for. I used to be a member of the MMA (MIDI Manufacturer's Association), and perhaps this could be of interest for them to pursue.
this could only work if Pace, Steinberg, Codemeter, -whatever- converged into one, else they have 100% interest to work against such standard

and the future is most likely subscription based. :S

however think about it: most of subscriptions and in-app purchases in iOS go un-cracked, and jailbreaking iphone is a risk not many are willing to undertake. Therefore, developers lose less money there because piracy is much less prevalent.
If the same thing is made on both systems (Windows/macOS), so, OS-based licensing, one could be done with all 3rd party licensing managers and just use uncrackable OS-based licensing.
One issue that would need to be solved is ability to cross-platform. Everything else could work great

I have my software centre pointing to two locations on my hard drive for 32 bit and 64bit. But the .dll I need, the 32 bit, doesn’t show up. Any ideas? (On PC obviously).

Btw I previously had both pointing to the same location and it (another Arturia plug-in) was just showing one file (I presume it was overwriting it with the 64 bit). So be wary of that!

Return to “Effects”