VSTi closest to MOOG ONE 16 voice

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know about Moogs, and analog synths etc, just asking what everyone thinks is the VSTi that can come THE CLOSEST to the 16 voice MOOG ONE, on the basis of sound, not if it looks like a moog.

Must have at LEAST 16 voices, and be very moogy sounding, and not cost $8500. :D

Will guess Legend or Diva? Does Legend do 16 voices? I forget if Diva does.

I own Arturia MiniV which I can bump to 16 voices and do "ok", but wondering what else could reach toward MOOG ONE sound?
Controls don't have to match, as long as audio tries to get there.
Last edited by wwjd on Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

There isn't such a thing.

My Arturia Mini V does 16 voices. That makes it, the >>>>"CLOSEST"<<<< one?

neon.

wwjd wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:03 pm My Arturia Mini V does 16 voices. That makes it, the >>>>"CLOSEST"<<<< one?
The way the term "voices"is used in most plugins is misleading.16 voices of the Moog One and 16 voices of say err i dunno Serum are not the same thing.all 16 voices of a VSTI does in most cases is stack 16 copies of that note and the whole patch as is(minus the fx which are polyphonic in very few cases)directly on top of eachother.in say the MoogOne,Prophet 08 and OB-6 there is an entire "voice"of the synth per voice.meaning that there is the same amount of oscillators per voice,filters,envelopes,sometimes FX,VCA etc etc and they are all toleranced differently hence its part of the reason why analog poly's tend to sound thicker than plugins(one of em amongst many..)but they also steal voices when you run out of polyphony.depending on how you view that most people would see that as a hindrance,but voice stealing has its charms IMO

The only VSTI's that could come close in "spirit"that i know of are Diva which has a voice mod which kind of does the same thing,Phaseplant with its poly architecture and Dune2/3 which is actually the closest analog to how voices work in analog synths out of all these but is only 8 actual voices(remember we aint talking about oscillator/waveform unison)if you have Dune you could stack 2 instances of it and you'd have at least the same architecture as the Moog One.provided you can be assed going in there and tweaking all those said voices differently
I

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:38 pmneon.
HA! :D

TIMT, thanks for your reply. All makes sense. Seems like DIVA, with its Moogy parts, and the 16 voices may have the closest sound. Never heard Phase Plant nor Dune's as being moog like (although they can probably come close).

Looks like THE LEGEND only does 4 voice poly?

Stealing: yeah, I'm after 16 voices for this reason. I absolutely HATED the way my Andromeda stole voices. It seemed totally backwards to any other synth voice steal, and against my playing style and needs. So, I like LOTS of voices - like MOOG ONE - with less cost, weight, warm up time. A6 probably has ways to change stealing, never cared, water under the bridge

Synth1 has the closest name.

wwjd wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:52 pm TIMT, thanks for your reply. All makes sense. Seems like DIVA, with its Moogy parts, and the 16 voices may have the closest sound. Never heard Phase Plant nor Dune's as being moog like (although they can probably come close).

Looks like THE LEGEND only does 4 voice poly?

Stealing: yeah, I'm after 16 voices for this reason. I absolutely HATED the way my Andromeda stole voices. It seemed totally backwards to any other synth voice steal, and against my playing style and needs. So, I like LOTS of voices - like MOOG ONE - with less cost, weight, warm up time. A6 probably has ways to change stealing, never cared, water under the bridge
Legend goes up to 8 voices.

Aware of all the differences and depending on what you actually plan to program on the polysynth, if you have issues with voice stealing and want a lot of voices with fat analog character you could also check out the Polymoog emulation from XILS, which goes up to 71.
The drawback is, although you get a filter (and envelope) for each of the 71 voices, you don't get "per-voice" LFOs, only "global" LFOs.
So, it depends on your needs.
Last edited by Niowiad on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Diva. 16 voices , Moog oscs & filter emulation, frequency modulation, hard sync... It has enough options to make a very convincing Moog One sound.

- Repro-5. It sounds even better than Diva in my opinion. Its polyphonic distortion is a blessing. 8 voices though.

- Massive X. 64 voices (but your CPU will hate you). a Moog filter among others, it's semi modular which leads you to build your own "analog synth" template if you want. The sound quality is amazing like the 2 synths above. It might not look like an analog emulation at first sight but I can guarantee you that it DOES sound like a real analog synth.

My point is that those soft synths are very high quality virtual analogs but more importantly, they offer many controls to make the sound more organic or wild, like a Moog One does.

See?? This is why I asked here! GREAT feedback, guys, and maybe gals! Lot more options to look into now. THanks!

K Brown created a version of aspects of the Moog One that you may enjoy exploring!!

simpleONE - (~Moog One) A very much-simplified approximation of the Moog One. It's somewhat to the One as the Voyager OS was to the original Voyager - mostly WYSIWYG panel controls with very little menu-accessed extra features. Also just the core synth functions - no layers, splits, arp, sequencer or effects. v1.01 4/19.

The download folder is here

https://ln.sync.com/dl/62c9b9f70/bbjdaw ... 8986860004

If you’re focused on getting 16 analog voices... Diva will be the closest, but IMO, that really misses the premise of the Moog One:

Moog One Analog Synthesizer Features:

8- or 16-voice polyphony

Check

3 VCOs per voice with waveshape mixing and OLED displays

Check

Unison mode (up to 48 oscillators on the 16-voice instrument)

Check

2 filters per voice with filter mixing (2 multimode State Variable filters that function as a single filter, and a classic lowpass/highpass Moog Ladder filter)

Nope. One filter per voice.

3 DAHDSR envelopes per voice with user-definable curves

Nope. 2 ADSRs with fixed curve responses. (Different models, though)

3-part multitimbrality

Nope... but you could run three instances of Diva.

Separate sequencer and arpeggiator per timbre

Nope, but unnecessary in software.

Chord memory

Nope.

Dual-source noise generator with dedicated envelope

Nope.

Mixer with external audio input

Nope. No effect version of Diva.

Ring modulation with selectable routing

Ring mod only on Dual VCO Eco between the two oscillators.
Oscillator FM and hard sync with selectable routing

Yes, but with fixed routing.

4 assignable LFOs

Two assignable LFOs.

Digital Effects (Synth and Master Bus)

Yes, but just master bus.

Eventide reverbs

Nope, but you could obviously add any reverb you choose.

Selectable glide types.

Yes

So, there you go. The computing power to mimic a 16 voice Moog One would probably be beyond most modern CPUs. Not sure when we’ll get that kind of power in a PC. The Moog One is out of my budget range as well... and frankly I’m not sure I’ve heard enough from it to excite me in dropping that kind of cash. For half the money I’d get a Prophet X and load it up with some multisampled Moog oscillator samples and be a lot happier. Meanwhile, I think something like Massive X with its Blue Monark filter is very impressive in ways that a Moog One isn’t, and will give you up to 64 voices, if you really want to go crazy.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

2 instances of P900 :)

Not many softsynths that can replicate the big amount of features of the Moog One, especially the dual filter with one multimode filter and most analog emulations only have 2 Oscs instead of 3.

Not exactly a Moog emulation but Xils Lab PolyKB III has up to 16 voices, 3 Oscs with morphable waveforms 2, multimode filters. 3 ADSR envelopes, 2 LFOs and a Step Sequencer besides some additional features.
Like in the Moog One it is possible to route each of the Oscs to one of the the 2 filters (parallel filters) and also use the filters in series. A filter balance knob is included too.
All 3 Oscs are available as mod sources in teh mod matrix to allow audio rate modulations. Osc 2 is also included as a source in the polymod section.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”