Formant Filter Presets

Official support for: www.apulsoft.ch
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I translated and tuned by ear (to the best of my abilities) the following formant filter bands:

https://www.classes.cs.uchicago.edu/arc ... able3.html

into a Formants preset pack for apQualizr (provided in an attached zip file.)

I gave them midi, lfo and a knob control on the frequencies via a splitter array so you can play or automate them. And if Adrian wants to put these into the presets that come with the EQ I'd be happy to donate them. The massive amount of freedom and creativity this plugin gives above and beyond just being a great EQ is one of the things that drew me to it and I'm happy to give back.

If you guys find any improvements I could make to them for anyone's uses I'd be happy to do so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Apparently I haven't made enough posts and it's (reasonably) holding back my attached files.

So I'm doing my due diligence to get my post to make sense, sorry for the sort-of spam in advance.

Should be last one

Edit: preset zip file should be available now. Just unzip it and drop it in the presets directory (you can find it by going to the apQualizr menu down to the bottom and click "manage presets in explorer..")

Thanks for this, this looks great!

Let me know if you find any improvements or points where they might be better!

I'm still trying to find a way to make things morph so I could have all of one vocal range in a single morph control.

Awesome. I always wanted to add a formant filter to the plugin and I looked at the same table online. I played around with it for bit but found the peak bands not the right choice. I'm happy to see you still made it work with peak bands. I believe the 'correct' way to use the table would be parallel bandpass filters + a way to let the dry signal through if needed. For a long time apQualizr2 was lacking the necessary dsp to do that, but since the addition of the harmonic band pass filter - it's all there. What's needed is a band-pass filter bank with custom parameters per band.
Unfortunately I'm rather busy elsewhere these days, but let's reactivate the item on my todo list. Before I can get started I however have to finally finish the big adjustable phase update I've been working on for apQualizr2.

I tried band pass filters first as suggested on the site, but it didn't have the sound I was expecting. I'll try again with either parallel band pass or harmonic band pass and see if I can get it working with a dry blend or something like that. Thanks for the suggestion!

right now you cannot do it with apQualizr2. The filters users create are all in series. The exception is what happens inside the harmonic bands filter, but that one can only do harmonic series. If you use multiple of those, it'll be in series again. Doing a dedicated module for formant filters would also enable morphing both vowels and voice types.

OH I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN NOW! In serial a single band pass will reject everything outside it and nothing sums no matter how many you add. Harmonic is composed of parallel band pass but fixed frequency ratios. Thanks! I'll leave it alone for now until new tech shows up.

Not high on the functionality scale, but high on the creative scale for later when you wanna add more "you can only really do this in apQ2" factor of midi playable morphing formant filters with the vowel type being dictated by a dynamics module.

Return to “apulSoft”