MuLab 9...Where's The Outpouring Of Love?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I was considering MuLab....I had a hard time deciding whether to go with the DAW or the plugin...but once I demo'd the DAW version, I was immediately hooked & became madly obsessed with it! Out of all the EDM-based DAW's out there(such as Ableton & FL Studio)...I think the clear choice, is MuLab...hands down.
It's rock-solid stable, it's wonderfully intuitive and the sonic quality of the synths, sampler & effects is killer!
The best part for me, is the low price(which frees up your cash to be spent on the specific 3rd party VST's you really want....rather than spending a big wad on native mid-grade and suite-grade bundle packs that most DAW's offer.)
even though Ableton & FL Studio have their strengths(such as some interesting sounds/modules/..etc.,.)..both of these DAW's are cluttered & confusing & any DAW that inhibits workflow in this manner, I avoid at all costs.
I'm still very new to MuLab....so perhaps down the line...I may have a few minor gripes or feature requests...but on the whole, there is no other DAW in existence, with a better workflow(even more so than my Reason DAW and I've been a user of it since 2007.)
I only wish that there were additional presets/sound sample libraries for purchase because I am in love with MuLab's synth & effects.
By the way....I couldn't find any info on MuLab's synth, in terms of synthesis method(additive, subtractive, FM..etc.,.?)
Mulab will probably never be my primary DAW(per se)...due to my Reason 10 having the obvious built-in synths and RE's, so I will be ping-ponging back & forth between the 2...but I did abandon my Mixcraft 9, Studio One & Cakewalk Bandlab DAW's.
:phones: :hyper:
All this being said, I am puzzled as to why Mulab has remained under the radar...whereas Ableton & FL Studio get all of the notoriety & praise. Then again...perhaps MuLab being low-key & small, is for the very best(so it doesn't become riddled with an excess of features & thereby being perverted into bloatware.

Lack of VST3 support and MPE are two reasons for me, if that helps with your puzzlement.

simmo75 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:25 am Lack of VST3 support and MPE are two reasons for me, if that helps with your puzzlement.
The only possible downside for VST2 for me, would be CPU issues(but I don't imagine that would be the case, inside MuLab.)
Quoted from MUTOOL's website, regarding version 9; "More robust VST 2 engine wrt VST 2 plugins that don't follow the VST 2 rules."

Kross2 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:37 am
simmo75 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:25 am Lack of VST3 support and MPE are two reasons for me, if that helps with your puzzlement.
The only possible downside for VST2 for me, would be CPU issues(but I don't imagine that would be the case, inside MuLab.)
Quoted from MUTOOL's website, regarding version 9; "More robust VST 2 engine wrt VST 2 plugins that don't follow the VST 2 rules."
So missing out on every new plugin that’s made going forward isn’t a downside?
VST2 is dead, you have to use VST3 now, CLAP or AU.

simmo75 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:57 am
Kross2 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:37 am
So missing out on every new plugin that’s made going forward isn’t a downside?
What in the hell are you talking about? First of all, most software companies have both VST2 & VST3 and secondly...for those VST3-only companies, you can just use your secondary DAW...I mean...who in the hell, only uses ONE brand of DAW?
32-bit plugins are nearly dead and yet, there are cheap & even free daws that have built-in bit-bridging.
A good example of this is a free VST called Alieno.....why would I want to miss out on having the pleasure of using this magnificent plugin, just because I feel that 32-bit is "dead"...or obsolete if you will...heh?
There's no reason why anyone couldn't have a second DAW(as Cakewalk Bandlab supports all VST's(VST2, VST3 and 32 bit VST)...and this is a FREE DAW.Also...by no means, is Cakewalk a dead DAW, as Bandlab continues to provide updates and user support.

both VST3(so Reason Rack) and AU can be loaded using BC Patchwork, but I would say it would have a similar target audience as Bitwig has and many of the aspects of Bitwig are simply more advanced
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

You might be surprised to know that an awful lot of people only use 1 DAW. TBH I see only complication and diminishing learning curve torture using multiple DAWs. Users can do whatever they want, but don't assume your way of working is remotely similar to anyone else's...it sounds quite alien to mine.

kritikon wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:04 am You might be surprised to know that an awful lot of people only use 1 DAW. TBH I see only complication and diminishing learning curve torture using multiple DAWs. Users can do whatever they want, but don't assume your way of working is remotely similar to anyone else's...it sounds quite alien to mine.
So you find the most simple DAW ever created(MuLab) to be complicated, with a steep learning curve?
I began on Reason 4 and if I had not ventured beyond it and learned Studio One( it would have been several years later(when Reason supported 3rd Party VST's)...before I learned how to install VST's(hardly what I would consider being a "diminishing learning curve torture.")
If anything, sticking to only one DAW can be severely limiting, in terms of inspiration and growth as a musician & composer.
An awful lot of people use only one DAW...really? Perhaps this is the case among the people you know.
Professional engineers typically use one DAW and producers/beatmakers who can't be bothered learning how to install their own plugins, will choose something like FL Studio Suite(where all the instruments/modules/effects are included.)

Um, the love would be over on the MuTools forum...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Kross2 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:22 am What in the hell are you talking about? First of all, most software companies have both VST2 & VST3 and secondly...for those VST3-only companies, you can just use your secondary DAW...I mean...who in the hell, only uses ONE brand of DAW?
What the hell are you talking about... ?

I think the very vast majority of producers use just one DAW for the creation of one project and it´s a joke to justify not being able to use a certain instrument or effect in a DAW that you could load it into your secondary one...
And even if... what does it serves me... the workflow would be horrible and being forced doing so is not a good selling point...

As much as I like Jo and his products but not having VST3 support in 2022 is a 100% no-go!

Kross2 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:11 am So you find the most simple DAW ever created(MuLab) to be complicated, with a steep learning curve?
Oh boy... stop to assume that everybody thinks the same way like you...

Mulab is after the last 2 updates for sure not the simplest and easiest to use DAW outside... at least not for me...

I was a very heavy at least Mux user but honestely... I tried but I do not find my way around in Mulab anymore especially with the newly implemented stuff...
This is all done in such a nerdy way that you must be really think in a special way to get your head around that...
Just have a look into how one can create simple sample and hold modulation in Mux...
I simply cannot imagine how to make this even more complicated... instead of providing a simple module like a random and S/H LFO you basically have to build up your own and save it cumbersome into it´s own MUX whose usage and editing is then 20 times more complicated than it would be in a specialized module...
So don´t tell me it would be the easiest to learn DAW when people have to build up their own modules for being able to even use basic stuff what others provide out of the box and easy to use...
Jo is a genius but this is the problem too... he tends to overcomplicate stuff in many cases.

On top of that the documentation of all Mulab stuff is more than limited, there are barely any (good) tutorials out there ... so including me I can completely understand that people having trouble to learn this stuff.

MuLab is just superb and I am pretty sure that VST3 - support isnt too far away.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

simmo75 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:57 am So missing out on every new plugin that’s made going forward isn’t a downside?
For what its worth, although the number of companies making plugins which are VST3 only is rising, its relatively rare, and mostly confined to newer developers.

On Windows at least, its also fairly easy to get VST3 plugins working in a VST2-only host like MuLab, using the free vst3shell and shell2vst tools from xlutop/polac

viewtopic.php?p=8528408#p8528408
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

mutools wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:20 pm
simmo75 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:57 am Does it support MPE and VST3?
Not yet, but VST3 support is being researched.
I use a lot of hardware synths/samplers, does anyone who uses MuLab have any thoughts on MuLab with external hardware?
Works fine, but best to check it out yourself using the demo version.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Trancit wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:33 am Just have a look into how one can create simple sample and hold modulation in Mux...
I simply cannot imagine how to make this even more complicated... instead of providing a simple module like a random and S/H LFO you basically have to build up your own
The philosophy behind it is the RISC philosophy.
A rather small set of basic modules that allow you to build more complex modules, which can be saved and reused in other patches. If there would be a dedicated module for each and every case things will easily bloat. I'm not saying that i don't take parts of your criticism, i'll keep on searching for the best balance between good simplicity and necessary complexity. MuLab's evolution has not finished!

About VST3 and CLAP: It's being researched.
It will not yet be part of MuLab 9.0, which really needs an official release soon, but extending the plugin system beyond VST2 is at the top of the wishlist for M9.x.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”