Yearly OS poll time again!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.

What OSes are you using (or planning on using) for Music Production?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:34 pm

1. Windows
51%
2. OSX
29%
3. Linux
11%
4. I don't use any of the above. I prefer hardware or something else.
2%
5. Fish
7%

Total votes: 166

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

It's that time of the year again. :) Every year in January, I am doing a survey to assess Linux usage on KVR. The number of those using Linux seems to be growing every year, but it's nice to see where things sit. I'm also interested in the OSX to Linux numbers. Please vote!

Thank you!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

OSX and iOS here. Previously Windows and iOS.

Neither Linux nor Android have nearly enough options when it comes to music production software, so even if I wanted to use Linux for that purpose, I actually couldn’t. Likewise Android.

And yes, I’ve used both those OSs for other things, some time ago. Nothing else against them, really. Simply the above.*

* Oh, and possibly drivers, case by case wrt hardware.

I just got a MacBook Pro and haven't seen so many permission popups since Launch Windows Vista UAC. It's kind of disgusting... especially since many of them require you to enter your password, not just click Yes/Okay.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

kvotchin wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:17 pm OSX and iOS here. Previously Windows and iOS.

Neither Linux nor Android have nearly enough options when it comes to music production software, so even if I wanted to use Linux for that purpose, I actually couldn’t. Likewise Android.

And yes, I’ve used both those OSs for other things, some time ago. Nothing else against them, really. Simply the above.*

* Oh, and possibly drivers, case by case wrt hardware.
Using Linux with WINE and yabridge will get you almost everything that Windows is able to run. About the only apps that no longer run on Linux are the once that require a dongle for authentication. Even iLok works these days as long as you move your authentications to the cloud. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Bumping for visibility

This is the once daily bump. Please vote if you haven’t already done so. Thanks!

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:35 amEven iLok works these days as long as you move your authentications to the cloud.
Didn't know that, thanks.

You’re welcome! As I think about the poll, it would have been interesting if I had added iOS and Android as options as well. I was mostly interested in the desktop OSes, but I think I’ll add them to the survey next year. This information is useful in understanding the demographics of the KVR population. 🙂

- OSX for music and photo/video editing

- iOS for web surfing, social media, and email/texting, plus some music (e.g., Logic Remote)

- Windows for work
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:35 amUsing Linux with WINE and yabridge will get you almost everything that Windows is able to run. About the only apps that no longer run on Linux are the once that require a dongle for authentication. Even iLok works these days as long as you move your authentications to the cloud. :)
You do understand that what you've said here is pretty much why you'd have to be f**king crazy to bother trying to use Linux, don't you? It's like trying to convince someone who has no interest in driving that they should buy a manual car. You have to really want to use Linux, it's not a rational, objective choice.

I've said it many times in the past but you choose the applications you want to work in and then you find the OS that best supports those applications, You don't go with the OS that might allow you to use them if you know all the right workarounds.

Can you imagine how much time and effort it would take to get Linux working on one of these?

Who could be bothered and why?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

You'd have to take off your pinhole goggles first...

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:35 am Using Linux with WINE
Using Windows
:ud:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:40 am
audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:35 amUsing Linux with WINE and yabridge will get you almost everything that Windows is able to run. About the only apps that no longer run on Linux are the once that require a dongle for authentication. Even iLok works these days as long as you move your authentications to the cloud. :)
You do understand that what you've said here is pretty much why you'd have to be f**king crazy to bother trying to use Linux, don't you? It's like trying to convince someone who has no interest in driving that they should buy a manual car. You have to really want to use Linux, it's not a rational, objective choice.

I've said it many times in the past but you choose the applications you want to work in and then you find the OS that best supports those applications, You don't go with the OS that might allow you to use them if you know all the right workarounds.

Can you imagine how much time and effort it would take to get Linux working on one of these?

Who could be bothered and why?

I enjoy Linux. I'm interested in seeing how many people like me are here on KVR. What you use and prefer is your own business. I like the open source nature of Linux. I like how customizable it is--it works for me the way I want to work, not the other way around. I like the incredibly low resource usage. The total cost of ownership can't be beat, and I love the available community support. I have no problem if you want to use a system with outrageous license agreements, hostile treatment of legitimate users, extortionist prices, vendor lock-in, poor support for older hardware, and a high total cost of ownership. How's windows 11 with that TPM 2.0 requirement going for a lot of people here? Oh, and I forgot that there's absolutely no privacy--the system (just like google) monetizes your privacy for their gain. It's perfectly fine if you have no problem with any of this. Like I said, what you prefer is your business.

As for laptops, I'd take a quality 2-in-1 any day of the week over that weird proprietary laptop you've got there. I really enjoy my Yoga. It's a Gen 5 instead of this Gen 7 but they look the same:

https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/reviews/05l ... e_768x.jpg

Another thing:

I use Gnome desktop, because I like it. This is an example video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtjeaL90E6Q

The beautiful thing is, if I didn't like the way my desktop looked or felt, I'd have 24+ others that I can use instead. Windows users are stuck with whatever they are given.

So, in short, you do you, I'll do me. There's room in this world for differences in viewpoint. :wink:

Bought my first Apple laptop, MacBook Air m1 base model, and it's awesome for my needs. Had to say goodbyes to VoS plugins for example.

At this point, life is too short to fiddle with getting Win laptop that doesn't give micro stutters because of too high DPC latency or so. Perhaps Linux software will develop to the point that it can be considered!

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:01 pm I enjoy Linux. I'm interested in seeing how many people like me are here on KVR. What you use and prefer is your own business. I like the open source nature of Linux. I like how customizable it is--it works for me the way I want to work, not the other way around. I like the incredibly low resource usage. The total cost of ownership can't be beat, and I love the available community support. I have no problem if you want to use a system with outrageous license agreements, hostile treatment of legitimate users, extortionist prices, vendor lock-in, poor support for older hardware, and a high total cost of ownership. How's windows 11 with that TPM 2.0 requirement going for a lot of people here? Oh, and I forgot that there's absolutely no privacy--the system (just like google) monetizes your privacy for their gain. It's perfectly fine if you have no problem with any of this. Like I said, what you prefer is your business.

As for laptops, I'd take a quality 2-in-1 any day of the week over that weird proprietary laptop you've got there. I really enjoy my Yoga. It's a Gen 5 instead of this Gen 7 but they look the same.

Another thing:

I use Gnome desktop, because I like it. This is an example video of it:

The beautiful thing is, if I didn't like the way my desktop looked or felt, I'd have 24+ others that I can use instead. Windows users are stuck with whatever they are given.

So, in short, you do you, I'll do me. There's room in this world for differences in viewpoint. :wink:
Feel the same, although I haven't yet let go of Windows like I would like to. So much nonsense with them and this TPM 2.0 is really the flag telling me to be done with them. Spouse still depends on it though for certain business dealings and Apple is absolutely the worst for doing them.

Linux really feels like the only future for users that think for themselves.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”