Polyphonic rhythms

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I was wondering if it actually makes sense to have some kind of "polyphonic rhythms". Currently one can extract a rhythm and put it into another phrase, but I think this only works monophonic.

Would it make sense to have this polyphonically? E.g. for strummed chords or something similar?
Or is this simply not useful at all?
I am not sure if it is even technically possible, just wondering. :wink:

Greetings,
Tobi

Blobby19 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:07 pm Hi,

I was wondering if it actually makes sense to have some kind of "polyphonic rhythms". Currently one can extract a rhythm and put it into another phrase, but I think this only works monophonic.

Would it make sense to have this polyphonically? E.g. for strummed chords or something similar?
Or is this simply not useful at all?
I am not sure if it is even technically possible, just wondering. :wink:

Greetings,
Tobi
naw, the way it works is, picture a line. Now, cut sections out of that line. (picture a line of Morse code) That is all a rhythm is.

Now take that line and using the piano roll, any note that falls into that position on that line gets played for the duration of the length of that line segment.

If you use a chord generator set to a bar, then you can see the effect of what rhythm can do to visualize it better.

Check this video out as well...
viewtopic.php?p=8632463#p8632463

Hi BluGenes,

thank you! I saw those videos already, really very helpful. :)

Just assuming that we have for example a phrase with some chords. And a phrase with some more complex strum rhythm.
If I would now use the strum rhythm as "Apply rhythm" on the chord phrase all the chord notes would be "rhythmized" the same, right? But what if I would like to have the rhythm of the lowest note in the strum phrase applied to the lowest note in the chord, the second lowest note ryhthm in the strum phrase to the second lowest in the chord etc. That's what I called "polyphonic rhythms". Does that make sense?

I don't think this is possible right now, at least not without splitting the phrases into multiple single-note-phrases and then apply the rhythm individually. Or am I missing some functionality in this regard? Therefore I was wondering if this would be first of all even technically possible, and secondly what others think about it, if this might be a useful improvement in the future.

Greetings,
Tobi

Return to “MusicDevelopments”