Unfiltered Audio Battalion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Had a play with it today. I really like it. I sold my modular last year and this feels like a replacement for a chunk of it. I layered it with other more “standard” drums too, which helps when going for that. But so far, honeymoon on :)

Made a few half assed tracks with it. I'll grab it if/when it's on a crazy sale. If I didn't already have tons of tools for strange electronic percussion (even ones that "only" do percussion) I would probably be more interested. The parts that they've made super flexible (sequencer (even with all the cool stuff it does it's a single pattern sequencer and the CPU isn't nearly optimized enough to run duplicates for alternates), super cool randomizer, simple but very capable sampler) aren't things I'm missing in general.
If the drum synth engines had far more control, or just sounded better without having to EQ and layer, I'd have bought it already. As of now it's a cool sampler with a so so drum synth that uses more CPU than 10 instances of micro tonic.
If I didn't have MT, Éphémère, The bitwig drumsynths, the maschine drumsynths, and tremor, it would be a more exciting prospect, but I do. Kind of bummed about it honestly. I really love Unfiltered Audio.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 am I really love Unfiltered Audio.
Me too. I really wanted to like this, but I'll need to buy a new computer to use it. CPU is maxed out at all times ... lots of crackles (even when it's doing nothing). :shrug:

Hopefully they'll keep working on it. I think with some optimization and switchable patterns in the sequencer, they'd have a big hit. Especially with people who don't already have microtonic or another "goto" drum synth.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

How do we know what is modulating what ??
Last edited by carambo on Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noiseresearch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:41 am The Richard Devine demo makes this one definitely interesting. It is too pricey for me right now, but I will demo it for sure by myself at some point. However, I feel that the name of this drum synth is inappropriate. I do not get why someone thinks that militarization is cool.
From Wikipedia, so i have no idea as to its correctness:
"The word "battalion" came into the English language in the 16th century from the French bataillon "battle squadron" (compare Italian battaglione with the same meaning), derived from Vulgar Latin battalia "battle" and ultimately from Classical Latin battuere "to beat or strike." The first use of the word in English was in the 1580s."
So its original latin meaning of to beat or strike would seem to fit with drums.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

carambo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:58 pm How do we know what is modulating what ??
By clicking on the modulation assignment buttons.

Me too. I really wanted to like this, but I'll need to buy a new computer to use it. CPU is maxed out at all times ... lots of crackles (even when it's doing nothing). :shrug:
[/quote]

I think like a few people here, I use Plugin Alliance just for Unfiltered Audio things. :)

Also like a few people here, I use and love Microtonic, so I am always on the search for a spiritual successor. :)

I gave this a try last night and I have to agree that the CPU usage was very high even when not running. In Waverform 13, the CPU load jumped up to about 65% (give or take) just adding this to a blank project. My computer is getting old...so there's that. :) I don't think I could use this in daily use at this point....

I understand the comparisons with Sugar Bytes drum machine as it seems easier to get 'unusual percussion' sounds as opposed to 'useable drum' sounds (i know, i know.... i didnt use it long enough...you're probably right!)

I think it has more to offer than Microtonic as far as features (fx, better sequencer, using samples as well) but MT seems to be able to get a lot of those type of unusual perc sounds and seems to get 'straightforward' drum type sounds quickly.

In general I am excited about Battalion as the overall sound quality, fx, etc are really nice! I just won't be buying any time soon though.

so did i get this right: the sequencer is 16 steps no matter what and the thing doesnt spit out midi? just in case in missed something. i really thought this might be my new drum solution but the sequencer part is just too unpractical.

gExpectations wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:57 pm so did i get this right: the sequencer is 16 steps no matter what and the thing doesnt spit out midi? just in case in missed something. i really thought this might be my new drum solution but the sequencer part is just too unpractical.
it is more than 16 steps, you just need to set a longer step length

I'm not sure, but I think midi out is on the way
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

It goes up to 64 steps.

Sadly, my demo expires tomorrow - I came to love this thing but need to keep the GAS down ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

chortle
Last edited by emef on Wed May 01, 2024 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm Anyone try this with Reason? I was getting some midi overflows. Seems like they dont
get along.
Works fine for me in the latest Reason. I haven't noticed any overflows or CPU issues.

DrFolder wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:34 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm Anyone try this with Reason? I was getting some midi overflows. Seems like they dont
get along.
Works fine for me in the latest Reason. I haven't noticed any overflows or CPU issues.

Ok thx for the report, i guess ill look into it
after this goes on sale, since my demo ended. :lol:

get along.
I was getting the same but I'm running it on 10.13 on a 2012 MacPro so I just chalked it up to "too old" even though it's technically within specs. I uninstalled it and will revisit when I upgrade to a Mac Studio

Return to “Instruments”