Reverb
Phaser
Chorus
Flanger
Doubler
Stutter (such as tantra)
Autopan

List yours!

I use a lot of guitar effects. Specifically, models of classic pedals and rack units.

My top 20 gotos are:

A/DA Flanger
Arturia Delay BRIGADE (EHX Memory Man)
Arturia Flanger BL-20 (Bel BF-20)
Arturia Phaser BI-TRON (Mu-Tron Bi-Phase)
Audiority Chief Chorus (BOSS CE-2)
Audiority Chorus Ensembler (BOSS CE-1)
Audiority Dr Phase (MXR Phase 90/45)
Audiority Electric Matter (EHX Electric Mistress)
Audiority Octaver 82 (BOSS OC-2)
Eventide Instant Flanger MkII
Eventide Instant Phaser MkII
Fuse Audio Chorus-65 (DOD FX65)
Lexicon PSP 42
Polychrome DSP Cry Boy (Cry Baby wah)
Soundtoys PrimalTap (Lexicon Prime Time Model 93)
TC Electronic SCF+
TC Electronic XII Phaser
UAD Dimension D
UAD Galaxy (Roland Space Echo)
UAD Lexicon 224

But my favourite pedals of all time are the BOSS BF-2 flanger and PH-1r phaser, and MXR M117 flanger and Phase 100 phaser. I'm still hoping Audiority tackles them.
Last edited by jamcat on Tue May 07, 2024 11:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

All-pass filter
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Too much to deal with the list, but here are some that I turn to when I’m looking to let loose. I’m not including standard stuff.

Melda MXXX. The king of modular effects.
Tantra
Delay Eternity
Reverb Intensity
H3000 Factory II
Soundtoys Bundle
Guitar RIg
Helix Native
Graindad
Other Desert Cities
Portal
Thermal
Supermassive
Molekular
Replicant
Valhalla Delay
Blackhole
Bitwig’s Delay and Reverb with fun stuff put into their feedback paths.
Enso
Permut8
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Delay - Recirculate or Vectomelt2 for creative stuff (lots of parallel Vectomelt2 on the vocals in the Youtube example).
Phaser - Shaperbox because I can control it exactly how I want it.
Chorus - Sonsig ACE is looking promising.
Flanger - Shaperbox because I can control it exactly how I want it.
Doubler - On vocals getting close to the sound I want with Vectomelt2+Eventide TimeAlign (see reference Youtube song). I think this plus the new Sonsig ACE is going to get the sound I hear in my head. Tried using D16 Sigmund for this on the synth ARP in the example and couldn't quite dial it in.
Stutter (such as tantra) -Don't really use it for this genre.
Autopan - Shaperbox or FilterShaperXL. I've made a lot of 1-4 bar presets in FilterShaperXL to add subtle movement quickly (I over did this on the basslines in the youtube example to the point it's fatiguing but isn't that what we do when we find a new technique to play with).
Distortion - Decimort for bitcrushing. Caved to using Decapitator for this genre as it is the pop standard and just sounds 'right' (aka familiar) so much easier. Always some PSA1000 wide and slightly panned on a parallel vocal track.
FireThePan on preset 59 for the panning. Yeah, I paid for a panning VST. Yeah, I don't regret it :) I can't learn and keep every technique in my head. I could have created a Ableton effects rack with some delay, filtering, and convolution to do what it does but I'm cool using paid shortcuts. I think the panning in Ableton's Utility is a large part of what puts Ableton tracks into the 'sounds like it was made in Ableton' category. The more I use Ableton, the more my ears pick this out in songs (which is annoying, I just want to listen to music). Ableton needs an analog emulated option that mixes up the space a little.

Style I'm using these on isto try and create my own take an old Johnny Jewel sexy synthwave/weirdo dance music vibe.
Example (not me singing) for reference of where my sound is so far (everyone talks about stuff but no one posts examples of using the tools for reference):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjbyXhDTo8

Infiltrator - multi-effect
Shaperbox - multi-effect
The Minimal FX Bundle - OTT, Chorus, Filter/EQ, Delay, Verb, Distortion
Serum FX - I use this on occasion for Hyper and some other stuff

Even though this doesn't seem like a lot of FX in relation to what some people have, it covers so much ground it doesn't really level me wanting for anything in terms of creative FX. Maybe some day I'll pick up a granular plugin or something spectral, but I feel like these types of FX work better with minimal styles of music, and most of the stuff I work with is pretty thick/dense.

U-he Zebrify
Stutter Edit 2
Speakerphone 2
Melda MXXX
The Finger
Cardinal (VCV rack)
Spec Ops
Permut8
Reaktor (more generally)
Manipulator (on anything monophonic, vox especially)
MTurboreverb

These can accomplish pretty much anything "strange" or "creative" that you can think of.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

billinder33 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:42 pm Infiltrator - multi-effect
Shaperbox - multi-effect
The Minimal FX Bundle - OTT, Chorus, Filter/EQ, Delay, Verb, Distortion
Serum FX - I use this on occasion for Hyper and some other stuff

Even though this doesn't seem like a lot of FX in relation to what some people have, it covers so much ground it doesn't really level me wanting for anything in terms of creative FX. Maybe some day I'll pick up a granular plugin or something spectral, but I feel like these types of FX work better with minimal styles of music, and most of the stuff I work with is pretty thick/dense.
Granular and spectral processing are as useful in mega dense arrangements as anywhere. Give em a try.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Effects”