Microphone choices for vocals ( whispering ) and strings ( guitars, violins, cello, ... )

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I have been wondering for few weeks which microphone I could buy that offers "very close/in your face" voice recording, with an ultra low noise level so I can record whispered voices, and able to handle the sound of my guitar amplifier. My sound card is an Audient id44, so the noise level is litterally to the floor 8) ( so I can use an ultra sensitive mike ).

As there are tons and tons of available models, I have pre selected some models and it would be great if you could give me your 3 best choice, out of my list ... it might also be useful for other KVR users :D

3 categories ( split per price ) :
$$$
Rode K2
Shure KSM42 SG
Neumann TLM 102 Studio Set
Rode NTK

$$
AKG C214
Rode NT2-A Studio Solution Set
Sontronics STC-3X Pack black
Lewitt LCT 440 PURE

$
t.bone SCT 2000
AKG C3000
t.bone SC 1100

Thank you all for your help

$$$
Neumann TLM 102
If you can stretch to the TLM 103 then whisper vocals are what it’s great at. Billie Eilish used it on her first album.
$$
Sontronics STC would be my personal choice
$
No idea!

As ever it’s always down to subjective opinion… so my recommendations shoul$ be taken with a pinch of salt.

Lauten also make very nice microphones around your price range.

Good luck with your choice

Thanks for your update ! greatly appreciated.

Anyone else with a different opinion to compare ?

I can only speak from limited personal experience of course, but I have Sontronics STC1 (the small diaphragm one) and it's done a top job recording electric and acoustic guitar and bass, mandolin here. The 3x is large diaphragm one I think? Wouldn't have any concerns on that.

For vocals using a tried and tested Rode NT1A. No quibbles.

I have a RODE NT-1 and am very happy with it. It's nice and loud with a very low noise-floor.
Comes with a shock mount & pop shield. Great for recording vocals and acoustic instruments.

Maybe take a look at Sennheiser MK4
Rode NT1A is fantastic for acoustic guitars, on vocals you might have to attenuate high end with an eq
Sennheiser MD441, if it works with your voice, it could be a great choice for acoustic instruments in general

Out of the options OP listed I would say I find the Shure KSM42 the most versatile in the applications mentioned.

Rode NT1 of the budget options.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”