Sonoma 14.5. killed Intel audio-units in native mode

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Macbook Air M2, Ableton Live 12.

I used to be able to run my Intel audio-units in Apple-Silicon native Live thanks to Apple's Rosetta Wrapper.
This doesn't work anymore after updating to 14.5.

Anybody else?
I guess nobody knows if this will get fixed or if it's gone for good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't. Update. To. The. Latest. OS.

Really. Don't. If you use any plugins ever at all, stay at least one full OS version behind, especially on Mac. If this is actually the case, that old AUs already don't work anymore in native mode, you can a) revert to an older macOS version if you made a backup or b) buy a wrapper like Superplugin or c) better know next time.

That depends on your computer and plugins. I use an M1, all my plugins work fine on latest OS.

Of course, always wait a while for any bad news from a new OS to emerge and if you’re using older machines or non-updated SW, then of course stay where you are.

I think I’m good updating for a couple of years more then after that I’ll stick with everything til I update to a new machine.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Alas, when I tried Sonoma, it killed a couple of older apps. Time machine wouldn't restore to Ventura because of fundamental changes to the disk, so I had to do a complete re-install. Something to be said for a clean slate, but now I image the entire deal before upgrading the OS. TBH most of the new stuff doesn't interest me, or at least not to the "gotta have it" point.

Honestly, Apple is shameless when it comes to breaking things and forcing you to update. Or trying to force you to at any rate. Hence things like OpenCore.

I decided to stay at 14.4.1 because everything just worked at the reboot. 14.4.0 broke iLock, I believe, so glad I didn't update from Monterey until it was fixed.
I think Apple is responsible to a large extent, but 3rd party plugin makers also have a role. Example: I was on Monterey and using Logic 10.7.7 and it was fine until…I installed EW OPUS Hollywood Orchestra. The OPUS plugin kept crashing Logic. Figuring 'screw it, might as well update' I was pleasantly surprised to see OPUS perfectly stable. The backward compatability of the plugin was dubious, at best.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Good riddance! Devs need to step up their compatibility game if they really want to take advantage of the power the architecture brings. And for those who don't, let them fade into obscurity.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Is it only with Intel Audio Unit plugins ? Or with Rosetta in general ?
Is it only with Pace protected AU plugins or with any Intel AU ?
It's also strange that it's only M2 and above...

amoksan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:42 am Macbook Air M2, Ableton Live 12.

I used to be able to run my Intel audio-units in Apple-Silicon native Live thanks to Apple's Rosetta Wrapper.

Anybody else?
Nope, M2 Studio, grabbing a plugin I know for sure is not native, Speakerphone from Audio Ease, AU running just fine in Rosetta with Ableton Live in native Apple Silicon. Your problem isn't with the supposed killing of Rosetta.

Anybody else?
Any news on that ? It seems nobody can reproduce this problem. Are you sure it's not user error ?

Anybody else?
Please notify the users here about your "issue". It seems it's user error, not a Mac os 14.5 bug, because nobody else can reproduce it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”