techno house tune from newbie

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey

Whenever I compare my mixing with what I hear on most of my vinyl, it seems to be somehow *lacking*... its a real pain in the ass to try to listen objectively

anywho, let me know if any instruments are too loud, too compressed, etc, etc. I put a -3db limiter on the track.. it is too much? too little? ARRRRGHHH! HELP!

http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/salami_ ... excert.mp3

(cut n paste url cuz host doesnt allow direct linking)

thanks! :)

Welcome aboard the KvR Cafe salamidelic :)

This has quite the dubby character which for some reason makes this a very interesting tune. Forgive my wooden head this morning so as to not be able to give some better feedback.

What I am noticing though is how the bassline is struggling to keep standing out, as if its fed too much low. And the lead synth is a tad too present here where it should be forming more of a whole with the rest of the tune.

The best advice I can give is to hang around here more often; listen to other peoples tunes here and ask around, or just read the feedback other people are receiving. Mixing is something that will come through time.

The best ingredient to learn still is to have fun at making it.

hi and welcome

just my two cents...

you could give a little more space to the drums with a bit of reverb (but donkey will probably hit me for this heresy), or maybe they are too compressed? they sound a bit harsh anyway.

the groovy bass is really cool, but as stated by mystahr, the mix is not perfect. play with your EQ settings and trust your ears. set up a roll off against the lowest frequencies, it might help as well.

i love your tune and i'd like to hear a longer version with a better ending (or is my download incomplete? 1:58min here)

cheers

thanks for the feedback, I'll post the whole tune up in a few days or so. The bass has been a huge problem for me to mix, maybe its my monitors (m audio studiophiles in a corner of an completely uncarpeted room). Mystahr, when you say lead synth, do you mean the rhythmic chordy stuff or the high flute-like sine?

I'm glad you guys dig the dubby vibe, I was going for a track that would fit in with my dj sets- I spin dub reggae and techno- strange combination? :lol: I do get strange looks some times...

anywho, I'll try an alternate mix and post it in a few, maybe easing off the compressed drums a bit

btw, is the track *too* limited? is -3db too much?

I don't think so, salamidelic. About 3db of limiting is a generally speaking a nice amount for a track in this style (of course it depends on the track contents, what other compression is used, what limiter is used...)

It's a really well made tune, I think, congratulations!

Cheers,
-ToneDunce

Return to “Music Cafe”