"Cheap" hardware synth for techno?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

btw, the Prophet-08 is pretty much the same synth as the Prophet REV2 and you can find 08's selling for a lot cheaper. REV2 can do things the 08 can't but both would do the sounds in that video pretty much the same.

Also, if I'm wrong and it turns out to be a Prophet-6, then the Pro-800 would be the most similar.

Uncle E wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:26 pm btw, the Prophet-08 is pretty much the same synth as the Prophet REV2 and you can find 08's selling for a lot cheaper. REV2 can do things the 08 can't but both would do the sounds in that video pretty much the same.

Also, if I'm wrong and it turns out to be a Prophet-6, then the Pro-800 would be the most similar.
I don't remember which Prophet he used, but you can see it somewhere on his shelf here:
(around 12:25)

https://youtu.be/h4NVvWFDaPg?feature=shared&t=745

Rad. That's the Prophet-6, so get the Pro-800. He also has an MKS-80 with the MPG-80 programmer. Really good stuff.

Yeah, that's definitely a Prophet 6. I have one and it's amazing, but I honestly don't think I'd spend that much on it for techno, when IMO you can get better and a more diverse array of sounds for techno with the Rev2 (which I also own). The Pro 3 is even better for techno IMO. I've never used a Pro-800, but based on the sound demos I've heard, it's a great deal!

On a side note, anybody know what the 4x4 drum machine/groovebox to the right of the TR-8S (top shelf) is? I thought it was an MV-1 at first, but it's not.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 pm Yeah, that's definitely a Prophet 6. I have one and it's amazing, but I honestly don't think I'd spend that much on it for techno, when IMO you can get better and a more diverse array of sounds for techno with the Rev2 (which I also own). The Pro 3 is even better for techno IMO. I've never used a Pro-800, but based on the sound demos I've heard, it's a great deal!

On a side note, anybody know what the 4x4 drum machine/groovebox to the right of the TR-8S (top shelf) is? I thought it was an MV-1 at first, but it's not.
So which one would you recommend that's cheapest?

Wehbba's gear list can be found here:

https://www.anaweh-studio.com/studio

isuckatproducing wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:21 pm
cryophonik wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 pm Yeah, that's definitely a Prophet 6. I have one and it's amazing, but I honestly don't think I'd spend that much on it for techno, when IMO you can get better and a more diverse array of sounds for techno with the Rev2 (which I also own). The Pro 3 is even better for techno IMO. I've never used a Pro-800, but based on the sound demos I've heard, it's a great deal!

So which one would you recommend that's cheapest?

Wehbba's gear list can be found here:

https://www.anaweh-studio.com/studio
Of the ones I mentioned, the Pro-800 is by far the cheapest ($400 USD). The Sequential synths are around $1500 and up.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 pm On a side note, anybody know what the 4x4 drum machine/groovebox to the right of the TR-8S (top shelf) is? I thought it was an MV-1 at first, but it's not.
Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Uncle E wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:47 pm
cryophonik wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 pm On a side note, anybody know what the 4x4 drum machine/groovebox to the right of the TR-8S (top shelf) is? I thought it was an MV-1 at first, but it's not.
Pioneer Toraiz SP-16
Good eye! :tu:

Uncle E wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:31 pm Rad. That's the Prophet-6, so get the Pro-800. He also has an MKS-80 with the MPG-80 programmer. Really good stuff.
so Pro800 is the po'boy's Prophet-6 ?
but lacking next to P5 ?

Listening to all the hardware demos I came to the conclusion that’s it’s not worth spending this much just to have physical knobs. So for now it will be a midi keyboard and Pigments 5.

mztk wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:12 pm so Pro800 is the po'boy's Prophet-6 ?
but lacking next to P5 ?
A po'boy's Prophet-5. Prophet-6 does a lot things that neither of those do. But Pro-800 is as close as you'll get for $399.

isuckatproducing wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:14 pm Listening to all the hardware demos I came to the conclusion that’s it’s not worth spending this much just to have physical knobs. So for now it will be a midi keyboard and Pigments 5.
Softube Model 80 is on sale for $65 right now. That'll get you closer to the Prophet-6 sound than Pigments 5 will.

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:36 am
isuckatproducing wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:14 pm Listening to all the hardware demos I came to the conclusion that’s it’s not worth spending this much just to have physical knobs. So for now it will be a midi keyboard and Pigments 5.
Softube Model 80 is on sale for $65 right now. That'll get you closer to the Prophet-6 sound than Pigments 5 will.
Isn't Arturia Mini V superior to that?
Also I've noticed I prefer synths like Pigments 5, they can do literally everything, you can modulate everything, many filters, granular etc.

Mini V gives you a Minimoog sound. Prophet-5V, Repro, and Model 80 give you the Prophet sound. But I understand the appeal of having one synth that does it all.

You need to look at the whole IK Uno Synth line, there will be something there you can afford, they all sound really good and they integrate well with a DAW (VSTi editor/librarian).

Original - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unosynth/

Pro - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unosynthpro/

Pro X - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unosynthprox/

I've got an original and a Pro Desktop and they are the last hardware instruments I would even think of selling. Waldorf Rocket is a great little synth but it's a bit limited and you can't save patches. If you can afford the Pro Desktop, I think it is the one to go for, although the Pro X might suit what you want to do better. (Pro and Pro-X have the same sound engine but you get lots of knobs and a different sequencer in the Pro X). But if all you can afford is the original, you'll still get a two osc monosynth with a huge analogue sound.

Another one to consider is the Novation MiniNova. I've had an Ultranova for years and they are similar synths. It's a V/A but it is definitely capable of the kinds of sounds you re looking to make.

As for an I/O device, my recommendation would be a Zoom U-24. It's probably the cleanest, best sounding I/O device I've used (and I have used more than a dozen over the years), it is stupidly cheap and extremely portable. It's so good I have two of them - one for home (studio) and one for rehearsal/stage.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”