Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The release note didn't seem too cheerful, looking at it. Spending eight hours a day poking at ARM Macs and VST3 voodoo dolls couldn't have been fun, but hopefully, they're past that now.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

v1o wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:05 am The individuals who initially developed Reason no longer work on the software on a daily basis. The current team working on the software treats it as a regular 9-5 job, lacking the same level of passion and motivation for innovation as the original founders. Additionally, it seems that they overlooked the inclusion of a proper dark skin option. The recent sequencer update appears to be rather unimpressive, as they missed opportunities to greatly enhance the toolset within the MIDI editor and fully develop the block sequencing features.
Everything in audio development was innovative back in 2000. Even Steinberg's Neon synth.
And I hope most people treat their job as a a regular 9-17 job (or rather 7-15). Not sure why software developers often are expected to work around the clock, preferable for minimal update fee (not by you, but a usual complaint).
And I'm sure those who made Reason 24-25 years ago are not working late hours anymore. They're probably around my age and I'll stop typing in the middle of a statement when the clock strikes 15 :P

I too hope there's more sequencer updates than what is in the initial info. It gives an impression that not all details are revealed yet. But we'll see. The focus is at least on the things I feel needs updating.
Last edited by kae on Sat May 04, 2024 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

liquidsound wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:46 am Still... no midi-vst :dog:
Yes that would've been good - would thunk that with all the ai composers around, this would be forward looking
Also a new player or so
The edit thing does look good, but I might save money and pass on this update ( maybe next time)

I use Cubase Pro, Logic, Ablation Live Suite - all latest versions and Reason since ver 1.
Still find Reason the most intuitive and quickest way to layer tracks.
I am on subscription with Reason now aka Reason + and therefore will be getting ver 13 for free anyway :wink:
Currently beta testing it and I like it a lot :)

v1o wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:05 am The individuals who initially developed Reason no longer work on the software on a daily basis. The current team working on the software treats it as a regular 9-5 job, lacking the same level of passion and motivation for innovation as the original founders. Additionally, it seems that they overlooked the inclusion of a proper dark skin option. The recent sequencer update appears to be rather unimpressive, as they missed opportunities to greatly enhance the toolset within the MIDI editor and fully develop the block sequencing features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0IMHAnzK8

Let's take a time machine back 13 years ago when Propellerhead Reason was on the cutting edge and had a thriving community.

This update is closer to a .5 update in my view so i will only get the update if the price is right.

I like the new update. I think they did a clean job with the new UI and tab system. It was in fact very hard to navigate between the rack, mixer and arrangement view. This is a welcome change. I think once beta testers start running it through, there could be some additional changes. I think integrating scales and chords into the menu system in the piano roll would be smart. Other than that, its a nice update

vertibration wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:50 pm I like the new update. I think they did a clean job with the new UI and tab system. It was in fact very hard to navigate between the rack, mixer and arrangement view. This is a welcome change. I think once beta testers start running it through, there could be some additional changes. I think integrating scales and chords into the menu system in the piano roll would be smart. Other than that, its a nice update
Agree 100%. This update is a lot of what users on the Reasontalk forums have been asking about for years. I've wanted a sequencer/editor update for the longest time as its really the only area where I found myself looking elsewhere. Everything else about the DAW is perfect for my workflow. This has the potential to the most useful update to Reason in years for me.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:23 am
vertibration wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:50 pm I like the new update. I think they did a clean job with the new UI and tab system. It was in fact very hard to navigate between the rack, mixer and arrangement view. This is a welcome change. I think once beta testers start running it through, there could be some additional changes. I think integrating scales and chords into the menu system in the piano roll would be smart. Other than that, its a nice update
Agree 100%. This update is a lot of what users on the Reasontalk forums have been asking about for years. I've wanted a sequencer/editor update for the longest time as its really the only area where I found myself looking elsewhere. Everything else about the DAW is perfect for my workflow. This has the potential to the most useful update to Reason in years for me.
I am glad to hear that. I left reason and reasontalk because people were so bitter.

I would have personally preferred a more RRP centric upgrade but I hope this will play out great for reason studios. I would hate to see the company die.

I think the new update actually will breath new life into the DAW. It looks very different, and thats a really good thing. What DAW out there has undergone a significant UI change? (Logic, Waveform, DP dont count because they just added clip launchers to copy Ableton).

I think it was a daring move for RS, and it will pay off for them. We havnt even seen the mixer yet.........Could it be they are saving something special? Who knows

well dunno, but on Mac, you can map the switching buttons between mixer, sequencer, and rack views to more meaningful keys (from f5-). From there, double-clicking on a sequencer device for a specific instrument brings up the upper view, and removing the lower part displays the associated mixer effects without any issues. There was no problem with this.

and double-clicking on a VST opens the VST, associated mixer track also goes into the view by selecting the track in the sequencer, so yepp for me it was the key
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 08.52.43.png
from this is possible to build the entire workflow around quick switching

I'm not in the beta yet, but if it's going to work in a way that clicking on an element within a track now opens the editor associated with that element at the lower part, that's a very good direction for this workflow. It fits in nicely
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

underwhelming as f*ck.... will probably still buy it
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

An old wise man once said, "Some people play DAW, and some people play music."

Steven Seagal Bullshido master approves Reason 13 update!

xbitz wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:49 am
well dunno, but on Mac, you can map the switching buttons between mixer, sequencer, and rack views to more meaningful keys (from f5-). From there, double-clicking on a sequencer device for a specific instrument brings up the upper view, and removing the lower part displays the associated mixer effects without any issues. There was no problem with this.

and double-clicking on a VST opens the VST, associated mixer track also goes into the view by selecting the track in the sequencer, so yepp for me it was the key
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 08.52.43.png
from this is possible to build the entire workflow around quick switching

I'm not in the beta yet, but if it's going to work in a way that clicking on an element within a track now opens the editor associated with that element at the lower part, that's a very good direction for this workflow. It fits in nicely
Ugh...I hate the current UI and navigating each pane. The new workflow is extremely welcome

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”