The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:09 pm Keep worshipping your digital god
When it comes to synthesis I am polytheistic
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

You’ll never get into heaven that way (or hell, in the case of digital).

Ok here you go goal posts moved. 4 Bars of each:

Osc Comparison 2

Again the statement was "screams digital". If the statement was "sounds a little more digital" then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hyperbole generates reactions.

Again there are differences but none so much that either one screams anything.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:23 pm You’ll never get into heaven that way (or hell, in the case of digital).
I've never been closer to synthesis heaven than I am now with all the great synths we have at our fingertips these days.

When I bought my first analog hardware synth lo those many decades ago I thought it sounded like the voice of heaven but now it would just be yet another buzzy, raspy, dinosaur best left to the dust bin of history.

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:09 pm Keep worshipping your digital god
The one true God is the digital, virtual analog God. Giver of analog sounds at affordable prices. All hail!

Vortifex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:51 pmOther than being 'analog', what is the specific appeal of this that would make you choose it over Dune?
If you already own DUNE, you're not going to buy it again and if you only want to buy one or the other, it won't make any difference to Synapse which one you choose, will it? If you can't see why a well regarded emulation with Hans Zimmer secret sauce added might appeal to someone over the greatest number of oscillators they can afford, then it is probably not worth trying to explain it to you. That said, you are probably right - if I could only have one I would choose DUNE but, interestingly, not for any of the reasons you listed.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:05 pm Whether that range is needed by the end user or not is up to the individual.
I think, if you have less than 5 synths, you may prefere Dune 3, for the very reason you are mentioning.

If you have already quite a few synths, I really doubt that a "generalist synth" will be as appealing than Legend HZ which has a strong character.

In my case, I already have my go-to synth for "generalist" sounds. This is Avenger 2. And even if Dune 3 is great, avenger to me is undeniably better.
For some it could be phase plant or Hive 2 or Falcon, but the point is that you don't need 100 of generalist synths.

Anyway, I have both Dune 3 and Legend HZ (and lets not forget the genius Antidote and Obsession from the same Devs), so I don't have to ask myself.

osiris wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:32 pm This was synth preset programming back in the day. Maybe 2 hours to make a preset.
Can I save this preset in my DAW?

seangm wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:38 am
osiris wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:32 pm This was synth preset programming back in the day. Maybe 2 hours to make a preset.
You just take a picture

Vortifex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:51 pm Purely for the sake of discussion, if you had a couple of hundred bucks to splurge on a synth and you're looking at Synapse's website, why would you choose this over Dune3? Dune 3 has more oscillators (via layers), more filters, more unison, more effects, wavetables, individual panning of oscillators, and I'm going to guess is more CPU efficient. Also IMO Dune 3 is easier to look at. And of course, it sounds fantastic. Other than being 'analog', what is the specific appeal of this that would make you choose it over Dune?

(I'm not arguing that one is 'better', just thought it would be fun to see opinions)
Dune doesn't do analog sounds all that well. So it depends on how you value analog sounds vs way more flexibility.

Please no one quote me and start a dumb argument about how Dune is actually really great at analogish type sounds because it has such and such filter model, or because it's made by the same person that made Obsession and the Legend. Instead of replying to me, work on getting competent ears and or monitoring.

briefcasemanx wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:34 am Please no one quote me and start a dumb argument about how Dune is actually really great at analogish type sounds because it has such and such filter model, or because it's made by the same person that made Obsession and the Legend.
Ackchyually, the such and such filter was designed by Boob Mogerheim and totally blows away anything in the digital domain.

Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:55 am
You just take a picture
You would need like 20 Polaroids, they were too low resolution to get one useful picture of the whole thing. At around $2 a picture in today's dollars, that's $40 a preset save.

Does anyone know how long the $79 upgrade price is good for?
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

ROTMetro wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:00 am
Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:55 am
You just take a picture
You would need like 20 Polaroids, they were too low resolution to get one useful picture of the whole thing. At around $2 a picture in today's dollars, that's $40 a preset save.
A large format (4x5) world be the recommended one. They probably have a dot matrix point to point read out of everything they did then. A big pile of them taking up space somewhere that no one really wants to through though.

Chris-S wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:21 pm Can Dune3 do FilterFM? Feedback? Buildup-Envelopes?
Yes, no, what’s a “buildup-envelope?”
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”