Switching from Logic to Ableton Live 12 Suite (tutorials?)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

qtheerearranger wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:30 pm if your an edm person check out echo sound works. he does a lot of tutorials with both ableton and logic, sometimes even showing how to in the same video with both daws. he doesnt upload as much anymore but hes a solid source. ableton live 12 imo is clunky with the browser esp in comparison to logic pro with the 3rd party tool plugsearch (new version is an omega level tool better then anything i think apple could do tbh). But Ableton has a better piano roll and automation 100%. The split notes feature was great for syncopating chord progressions when I was using it.
Thanks.
There are also afaik options in piano roll where it only shows keys from certain chord. Good for someone who isn’t into musical theory.

isuckatproducing wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:03 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:03 am
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:39 pm Hi,

Just decided to switch, but the whole workflow seems super confusing.
Are there any up to date (can be paid) tutorials you guys would recommend?

Thanks!
why would you switch, then, given that that workflow is pretty much the point of Live?

At the very least, watch Loopop's video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfnRShtIFE
I switched because it’s better for electronic music, has better/faster sound manipulation etc.
Also better Piano roll and other stuff.
You could have just said you wanted to try something different.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 pm

Thanks!
why would you switch, then, given that that workflow is pretty much the point of Live?

At the very least, watch Loopop's video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfnRShtIFE
I switched because it’s better for electronic music, has better/faster sound manipulation etc.
I was asking for tutorials and not opinions, so what's the point of this talk? :phones:

isuckatproducing wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:39 pm

Thanks!

I was asking for tutorials and not opinions, so what's the point of this talk? :phones:
Well I gave it anyway. This is a public forum, expect opinions regardless of what you want.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:40 pm

Thanks!

Well I gave it anyway. This is a public forum, expect opinions regardless of what you want.
Sure but it's off topic and has no added value mate. :party:

isuckatproducing wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 pm
apoclypse wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:40 pm

Sure but it's off topic and has no added value mate. :party:
You wrote this
Did you think someone wouldn't respond that? On KVR of all places? C'mon man. That's why I wrote what I wrote as a way to let you know that kind of thing leads to people arguing whether it's true or not and then your thread devolves into something else. Once you start giving your opinion in the thread others will start doing the same.

I wasn't even the only one who responded to that.

Why switch when you could just use both? We're all DAW polygamists here. The most fun way I've found to learn Live is by going through a "Make a song from scratch" tutorial in the style of music I like. I learn best by doing, picked up tons of tips along the way, and ended up with a cool song at the end.

Tronam wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:18 am Why switch when you could just use both? We're all DAW polygamists here. The most fun way I've found to learn Live is by going through a "Make a song from scratch" tutorial in the style of music I like. I learn best by doing, picked up tons of tips along the way, and ended up with a cool song at the end.
In the end for me there is nothing I would want to use from logic anymore though... also better to be OS agnostic too as Logic is only on apple (which we changed away from), when Live is open it does not matter what is the OS under it.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:18 am
Tronam wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:18 am Why switch when you could just use both? We're all DAW polygamists here. The most fun way I've found to learn Live is by going through a "Make a song from scratch" tutorial in the style of music I like. I learn best by doing, picked up tons of tips along the way, and ended up with a cool song at the end.
In the end for me there is nothing I would want to use from logic anymore though... also better to be OS agnostic too as Logic is only on apple (which we changed away from), when Live is open it does not matter what is the OS under it.
Also my thoughts, although stem separation in Logic pro 11 will be nice I bet.

Read the user's guide from beginning to end. Really. Live is quite a bit different than other DAWs, Logic included. Logic has its own peccadilloes so you'll need to get over these as well.

I can't agree with the don't waste time with videos comment. I learned a lot from videos when I first started. Go with with the tips and secrets type stuff. Those are invariably from the most experienced users, and said tips can really get you over the hump in understanding the program methodology.

Also, don't fight it. The best piece of advice I ever got. In other words, stop worrying about why Live doesn't do things the way your used to, just learn how it does them. In time, you'll quite often find that the Live way does things is just as, or more efficient than others.

Learn the key commands. There's a synergy between them and mouse that can be delightful.

jonljacobi wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:43 pm Read the user's guide from beginning to end. Really. Live is quite a bit different than other DAWs, Logic included. Logic has its own peccadilloes so you'll need to get over these as well.

I can't agree with the don't waste time with videos comment. I learned a lot from videos when I first started. Go with with the tips and secrets type stuff. Those are invariably from the most experienced users, and said tips can really get you over the hump in understanding the program methodology.

Also, don't fight it. The best piece of advice I ever got. In other words, stop worrying about why Live doesn't do things the way your used to, just learn how it does them. In time, you'll quite often find that the Live way does things is just as, or more efficient than others.

Learn the key commands. There's a synergy between them and mouse that can be delightful.
I get bored 5min into reading a manual unfortunately lol.
I much prefer video series personally, but might need to force myself and read some of this stuff.

I suggest you slog through it nonetheless. Even if it's skimming you'll start to spot patterns. Join the forum as well.

jonljacobi wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 pm I suggest you slog through it nonetheless. Even if it's skimming you'll start to spot patterns. Join the forum as well.
Already did.
I'm amazed already by how much stuff can be done with the plugins built into Ableton.

Here is a cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkmHsP_Z1o

I’ll never completely divorce from logic. There’s so many good things about it and I much prefer mixing in logic to live.

dayjob wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:28 pm I’ll never completely divorce from logic. There’s so many good things about it and I much prefer mixing in logic to live.
I will probably finish mix and master in Logic. The mixer is amazing in Logic.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”