RIP - Steve Albini

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ouch !!!!! 😱 Rip
**dark music for dark lovers**

I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

That's devasting news, never mind the intensity he could conjour up with his music, recorded some of my favourite LPs too (including Lows best, secret name and things...)

And he hated f**king Steely Dan so top bloke in my book...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qTFE0I3jm0

Very sad. RIP
His legacy lives on.

The Problem With Music
Steve Albini, December 1993
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

damnit, a legend. Huge influence and legacy with a great body of work and integrity. A Singular guy.

Rest In Peace

A true Legend. RIP.

Omg "Big Money!" :love:
Hitherto haven't heard any of Steve's stuff before.
RIP

VOODOO U wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:53 am Omg "Big Money!" :love:
RIP
Big Black are a one of a kind act. Shellac is solid Indie rock, but Big Black only have one mediocre record, and in true Albini fashion, the sticker on it said as much! "WARNING! Not as good as Atomizer, so don't get your hopes up, cheese."

machinesworking wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:40 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:53 am Omg "Big Money!" :love:
RIP
Big Black are a one of a kind act. Shellac is solid Indie rock, but Big Black only have one mediocre record, and in true Albini fashion, the sticker on it said as much! "WARNING! Not as good as Atomizer, so don't get your hopes up, cheese."
I would say that Shellac are a lot, lots better than your description, but I would find it difficult to believe that anybody's first reaction to hearing Kerosene is not jaw-dropping delight / horror. Big Black really were something else.
I would argue that the Lungs ep is a bit of a curio only.

There was something in the air in the early 80s, with stuff like Swans and all the power electronics stuff. Also bands like World Domination Enterprises, and Fists Of Love reminds me quite a lot of the early Sisters.

Edit: I've heard that Sonic Youth used exactly the same sticker on one of their records?
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

A bit off topic, but I've been watching a few Big Black live videos over the last couple of days, and Santiago Durango's goth 2-step is really unnerving!

Always had mixed feelings about the guy. The kind of opinionated asshole you loved if he was on your side and detested if he wasn't. Went over-the-top on some stuff, heard stories about him shitting in other bands' instruments, etc. Bought his "Songs About f**king" and would rock out to it at my terrible corporate job 290+ years ago as a token act of rebellion. Read his "The Problem With Music" back then as well and it was a real eye-opener.

RIP Big Stever.
A well-behaved signature.

He was definitely the dictionary-definition of an edge lord for a long, long time, and some stuff was really quite awful.
But in the last few years he has not so much apologised for it as just outright owned it and stated that it was indefensible.
This is a good article
https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... wrong-side

Plus he was secret Santa

JerGoertz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:49 pmThe kind of opinionated asshole you loved if he was on your side and detested if he wasn't.
There was a story doing the rounds of when paul smith (I think) of Blast First went to meet him in Chicago, as they walked around people were constantly coming up to him telling him what an asshole he was for various reasons. The real deal. :)

Bunny_boy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:55 pm He was definitely the dictionary-definition of an edge lord for a long, long time, and some stuff was really quite awful.
But in the last few years he has not so much apologised for it as just outright owned it and stated that it was indefensible.
This is a good article
https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... wrong-side

Plus he was secret Santa
Mostly he glommed on to all the darkest elements of early noise music and it's full on transgressive nature, but he kinda sorta skipped the whole transgressive art as inherently transforming a person into a free thinking stateless being and went with sarcasm and hard opinions instead. It's like he missed the point entirely that transgressions of conventional cultural reality are meant to make you question why these things are hidden or not represented, it's not meant purely for edgelord shock value. It's the difference between Con-Dom releasing a recording of their mother's nursery home stay and hospice care, the horror of that, and the not so subtle racist "jokes" he wrote in some linear notes.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”