"Creating folder failed!" character not allowed (bug?)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When organizing folders on my drive I commonly use =foldername= for important folders I want to stand out and group at the top.

It's never caused any issues (including with u-he plugins), until today when I tried to create one in the preset browser (happens in all).

I get an error saying the character is not allowed, but it seems like a bug as there's already countless folders in my preset dirs with it, and it's not an illegal character for directory names in Windows, MacOS, or Linux.

It's possible the character is being interpreted as a delimiter or operator if it's not escaped, and the path sanitized... :shrug:

There are a bunch of characters which are not allowed because they would either cause trouble within the operating system, or they would cause trouble within the preset database.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: ↑Tue May 14, 2024 12:17 pm There are a bunch of characters which are not allowed because they would either cause trouble within the operating system, or they would cause trouble within the preset database.
I get that, but this is not one of those characters (in the OS). I already have ~100+ such folders with this character in my .data preset folders that I created with Windows which have never caused any noticeable problems with the db, even with a huge number of files.

I don't see why creating a one more folder in the plugin should throw an error, when I can create it in Windows Explorer with the same name the the plugin scans/indexes it fine. :-?

This seems easy to test. Create a temp copy of the presets dir, rename some/all folders in the root to start/end with =, re-scan, and see if anything changes or stops working. I haven't tried decoding the database files, but functionality wise all appears fine.

It's not about a certain number of folders.
We can't prevent you from creating folders or presets with disallowed characters when you create those through your operating system's file browser.
But we can prevent you from creating them when you create the folder directly inside the plugin.

We want to ensure cross-compatibility on all supported platforms, so users can move files and projects from Windows to Mac to Linux if they want. Thus we prevent the use of characters which might be problematic either on any of these systems or in the database.

The characters which are not allowed for various reasons are:
\ / ? % * : β€œ > < =

While some of them might not cause any issues on your platform, they might cause problems if you switch to another one.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Return to β€œu-he”