RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is why I don't use Bitwig !

Literally every DAW can do this. :tu:

Have they added this yet?

HOW BOUT NOW? :lol:

how bout NOW?

nope

Non stretched semitones pitching, how hard is this?

It's now 2019 and almost 2020, is it here yet?

zyguli wrote: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm When the audio is in repitch mode, the pitch section in the inspector is greyed out and the pitch expression has no effect.
I want to be able to edit the pitches like in old-school samplers by changing the pitch without timestretching.
dom@bitwig wrote: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:22 pm Might be something to think about for the future, but right now i'm afraid other things like Multiout VST, track grouping etc. have higher priority esp. as slice to drum machine is really not the worst workaround. But thanks for bringing it up.
8 years later and this feature is still not implemented! :( :?

All the fancy modulators and other goodies are great, but things like this should be done. I don't want to have to slice to a Drum Machine to be able to musically pitch a sample up and down :-/

so.. ten years later.
It's interesting that the bitwig team doesn't think this is a big deal. For me, it's a deal breaker.
Last edited by Mood Wiggler on Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dom@bitwig wrote: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:55 am In repitch mode the tempo defines the pitch, like a tape or a turntable.
Editing pitch is obviously only possible in the timestretch modes!
The most basic task in music production: Accurately changing the pitch of a sample (without ugly strech/warp artifacts so yes; repitch mode is preferred). Not possible in Bitwig without a workaround method (drum machine, sampler or whatever). OK. Ableton wins then.

Mood Wiggler wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 pm The most basic task in music production: Accurately changing the pitch of a sample
One can accurately change the pitch of a sample in Repitch mode... the precision is there. It's just not conveniently done in semitone increments.

And yes, I agree it would be handy to have that.

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:25 pm
Mood Wiggler wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 pm The most basic task in music production: Accurately changing the pitch of a sample
One can accurately change the pitch of a sample in Repitch mode... the precision is there. It's just not conveniently done in semitone increments.

And yes, I agree it would be handy to have that.
There's no precision in randomly adjusting the sample's tempo and by ear trying to hit whatever pitch change you want.

It's quite obvious that despite the fact that Bitwig founders are ex-Ableton employees, two DAWs have fundamentally different focuses.

In Ableton that is quite obviously audio. The first version didn't even have MIDI yet it had warping from day one.

Conversely, first version of Bitwig came out with an innovation that anticipated MPE years before it became a MIDI extension, and with modulators and the addition of the Grid it was never more obvious that Bitwig is a software modular as a DAW.

gearwatcher wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 pm It's quite obvious that despite the fact that Bitwig founders are ex-Ableton employees, two DAWs have fundamentally different focuses.

In Ableton that is quite obviously audio. The first version didn't even have MIDI yet it had warping from day one.

Conversely, first version of Bitwig came out with an innovation that anticipated MPE years before it became a MIDI extension, and with modulators and the addition of the Grid it was never more obvious that Bitwig is a software modular as a DAW.
Sure, but this feature is such a minor thing (but with a big impact on workflow).

Return to “Bitwig”