What workhorse synth would you buy if you couldn't get Omnisphere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

carrieres wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:43 am I wanted to post something fun but your post is one the most stupid I have ever read here :cry:
You shifted the goal thread by trying to offend, so what can we do ?
Be offended, no way ?
On my ignore list :clap:
:clap:
<list your stupid gear here>

IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:15 pm
Is anyone really worried about HD Space in 2024?
I am.

It's not so much the hard drive space,but more the concept of "samples",and the downloading, storage,and looking after them. It seems like yesterdays technology. I think that virtual instruments like Pianoteq point the way forward. Currently I have Sampletank 4, Kontakt,with its factory selection,and many other sample based instruments installed - and I rarely use them. They just take up space. Its a bit like having masses of stuff in your attic that you have forgotten about. Having said that,there must be a good reason why Professionals still rely heavily on sample based stuff. Maybe the future is still some way off.

dellboy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:01 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:15 pm
Is anyone really worried about HD Space in 2024?
I am.

It's not so much the hard drive space,but more the concept of "samples",and the downloading, storage,and looking after them. It seems like yesterdays technology. I think that virtual instruments like Pianoteq point the way forward. Currently I have Sampletank 4, Kontakt,with its factory selection,and many other sample based instruments installed - and I rarely use them. They just take up space. Its a bit like having masses of stuff in your attic that you have forgotten about. Having said that,there must be a good reason why Professionals still rely heavily on sample based stuff. Maybe the future is still some way off.
Me too. I am on Mac so adding 1TB more on a laptop cost about 147.345.943 USD.
So basically I have only 1TB.

But I do agree with you, samples feel like old school tech for me... Especially after you hear Friktion or Objekt...

But in the case of Omni, it is no big deal, Omni speaks many different technologies, some old school some more modern...

IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:15 pm Is anyone really worried about HD Space in 2024?
Yes.
I've already got four hard drives attached to my computer. Two SSDs, two HDDs. Only one of them has enough space left for new libraries at the moment. And with my audio interface and MIDI controller attached, I've also run out of USB ports to add yet another drive.
Plus, I've already had the experience of hard drives dying, suddenly failing to function from one day to the other. The thought of having to reinstall a ton of stuff on a new hard drive (and having to figure out what used to be on that drive) is rather daunting. Non-sample-based synth presets are usually so lightweight, I can easily have them duplicated on multiple drives for safety.

igorius wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:28 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:15 pm Is anyone really worried about HD Space in 2024?
Yes.
I've already got four hard drives attached to my computer. Two SSDs, two HDDs. Only one of them has enough space left for new libraries at the moment. And with my audio interface and MIDI controller attached, I've also run out of USB ports to add yet another drive.
Plus, I've already had the experience of hard drives dying, suddenly failing to function from one day to the other. The thought of having to reinstall a ton of stuff on a new hard drive (and having to figure out what used to be on that drive) is rather daunting. Non-sample-based synth presets are usually so lightweight, I can easily have them duplicated on multiple drives for safety.
I think that is one advantage GenAI can bring. Today, to generate "organic" sound, it is either samples or physical modelling. Physical modelling gives superb results but GenAI, being able to even generate voices will go one step further...

Yes.
I've already got four hard drives attached to my computer. Two SSDs, two HDDs. Only one of them has enough space left for new libraries at the moment.
Wow if you have 4 drives they must be really small if you are worried about space

A 5TB HD USB C drive costs all of $129 on Amazon the Omnisphere library is all of 60gb or slightly more than 1% of that capacity

In 2024 if anyone has drive space issues it's because of a personal choice to do so
Last edited by IvyBirds on Wed May 15, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IvyBirds wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 pm
Yes.
I've already got four hard drives attached to my computer. Two SSDs, two HDDs. Only one of them has enough space left for new libraries at the moment.
A 5TB SSD USB C drive costs all of $129 on Amazon
What? Where? :eek:

igorius wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:12 pm
Yes.
@Amazon.dream.com

That being said, seeing that Lores from Kontakt is 80GB or so, 60GB for 14000 presets is still reasonable.

Jac459 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:19 pm
Yes.
@Amazon.dream.com
I don't get it. No direct link? I can't find a 5TB SSD drive for $129 on Amazon, nor have I ever seen one for that price anywhere else.

igorius wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:31 pm
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:19 pm
Yes.
@Amazon.dream.com
I don't get it. No direct link? I can't find a 5TB SSD drive for $129 on Amazon, nor have I ever seen one for that price anywhere else.
Sorry it was just a joke. I meant "in your dream"...
5TB for SSD is more like double of this amount for the first prices...

Maybe is £129
MuLab of course :D

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:11 am
carrieres wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:08 am
egbert101 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:06 amIn other words, you're going to use presets, you're not actually going to be creative.
You can be very creative with Omnisphere because there is a lot of presets bank on the market
Some sounddesigner are very creative and Omnisphere is their favorite synth
No buying and selling presets isn't being creative, but it is a business model.
Ok, so today I've learned that Kevin Schroeder or Luftrum are not creative.

Things I learn on KVR...

midi sentinel wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:43 pm
egbert101 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:11 am
carrieres wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:08 am
egbert101 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:06 amIn other words, you're going to use presets, you're not actually going to be creative.
You can be very creative with Omnisphere because there is a lot of presets bank on the market
Some sounddesigner are very creative and Omnisphere is their favorite synth
No buying and selling presets isn't being creative, but it is a business model.
Ok, so today I've learned that Kevin Schroeder or Luftrum are not creative.

Things I learn on KVR...
Yes, but follow this business model and you'll be a billionaire!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

igorius wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:31 pm
You are right it's now $119 this is the one I have. I paid $129 for it
https://a.co/d/e686miF

All you have to do is go on Amazon and do a simple search you wil find many like this one

https://a.co/d/51T0JUQ
Last edited by IvyBirds on Wed May 15, 2024 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”