NA2SC1 ... Win a U-HE ACE!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Drumatic 3 Oatmeal Rhythmus SQ8L / SQ8X StringZ2 Synth1 TAL-Elek7ro TAL-NoiseMaker TS-808 TS-Substance

And now for something completely different, and yet reassuringly familiar :)

The long awaited 'NA2SC1' ( Any 2 synth challenge 1 ..... the one added at the end to give the impression that it might happen more than once!! :) )

The challenge?
To create a track using any combination of 2 freeware synths to create all the instruments/sounds, including percussion.

The restrictions? ...
not many, but sampling/samplers are OUT!

the track can be made in any host(s)

Fx, as long as its freeware, or native to the chosen host, it's cool! ... So FL limiter is fine, Reacomp, reafir ... you get the jist ... this is relaxed as hell ...( if hell and relaxation are permissible in the same sentence! :) ).... compared to the one-Synth-Challenge, so make the most of it!!
.... "but, but ...." I hear you say, " what about fx that transform sounds to a degree that makes them unrepresentative of the synth credited with being its source?
... To which I say, "do your worst! " ... but in the end, there is now a fairly sussed culture within the OSC folks which will wonder why, ...even with the freedom to choose your two favourite freeware synths, and no limit to types of fx, ... you feel the need to do that, ... and will prob not be impressed enough to give you any votes! ..... however, I like thrash-punk, noisecore, industrial strangeness and stuff, so if it gets me jumping around the house throwing things, then you might do alright ;)

**Note ** this comp is partly in response to calls for an 'any one synth' challenge, and a 'any one producer' challenge.

...... if that was what you wanted, then feel free to use only one synth of your choice, or two synths by the same developer

....... but the comp is also inspired by the newly elected UK coalition govt. whereby two parties claim they are complimentary and harmonious despite their pre election claims that they were an alternative to one another, and sought to oust one another.
So with so much freedom to exploit, like our new govt, you can choose whether your 2 synths, and a free range of fx are going to be a 'match made in heaven', or 'all hell let loose' with a mandate to poison the minds of the righteous and rotten alike! ... take inspiration from that as you will! ;)

**There IS a track limit! .... In honour of our new govt. declaring a 5 year limit on the call of re-election ( like thats gonna make a difference ) ... there is a 5 minute upper limit to track length ( take note Mac! )

**** Finished tracks, in mp3 format, should be uploaded here ...

http://soundcloud.com/groups/kvr-one-sy ... -1/dropbox

or via the upload button on the NA2SC1 page on the KVROSC site ...
http://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/na2sc-1

* Please post in this thread when you upload a track, and provide brief details of what you have used ( host, how many instances of each synth, which fx, how many instances.. etc. )

For the sake of clarity, name your track in the following format ...

.... Title of Track - Artist Name ( in that order pleeeze! )

( feel free to post or PM me if you have any problems uploading )
**Please do not post separate, external links to tracks you wish to be included in the comp.

CLOSING DATE for submissions? .... gonna be immensely liberal with this so it has less impact on the flow of my beloved One-Synth-Challenge schedule ....
.... errrm ... 30th August 2010!

The comp will be judged by the votes of KVR members.... and the voting system will be infinitely more flexible than the one which landed the UK with the present mongrel collection of crap disguised as a representative government!

And the prizes? ... There is one ... and it's a beauty! WIN A U-HE ACE! ( see below ) .... it's all give and no get ... give up and get used to it! ..... if anyone wants to offer more prizes, we would be very grateful! ... ( post your pledges here! )

So good luck with those NA2synth tracks! .... and have fun! :)
Last edited by tattiemannie on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tattiemannie wrote:In honour of our new govt. declaring a 5 year limit on the call of re-election ( like thats gonna make a difference ) ... there is a 5 minute upper limit to track length ( take note Mac! )
Damn... " synths and barely enough time for an intro :( :( :wink:
Now, wouldn't I be honoring your new government even more if I just uploaded a 5-year-long track? :P

Mac, one might think that a track 5 years in length would have to be 'heavily compressed.'

mrblitz000 wrote:Mac, one might think that a track 5 years in length would have to be 'heavily compressed.'
Naah, all you need is a lot of hard disk space :P :hihi: :hihi:

This is going to be fun, so I might even participate :D

If I get my setup in order in time that is (although the end of august gives some time), I'm currently fine-tuning my workflow in Reaper (can be involved) so it still might take some time before I'm tracking again ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Two synths?! I can feel becoming stymied by sheer choice again.. ;)

Nah, this is going to be fun, already tried out a few combinations. One of the synths is already set, anyone willing a guess as to which? :P

Undecided on the second one. It will not be Oatmeal as that was strangely unusable when it came down to it, so atm between ZynAddSubFX or Minimogue (the latter slowly sailing up as my top 3 freebie).

Cant guess v'ger, but I will say that anyone who uses synth1 has no sense of adventure! :hihi:

You won't be saying that after we are done with Basic 64 and tried the new features of Synth1.. :borg:

I'm thinking about SQ8L together with Dr Fusion.... but that is not set in stone (yet) as I have a few other nice options in mind. Doing something with Blooo is tempting as well ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Hi Crimsonwarlock, dont wanna be a killjoy or rule police here, but is Dr. Fusion technically a synth as much as a rompler?

There's always Drumatic which now that I think about it I might just go for myself.. ;)

Well, those are the two I use besides 'real' sample-based drum kicks. Dr. Fusion uses samples as a basis for it's synthesis, but so does SQ8L ;)

I would say that if SQ8L is game (seems no problem to me) then Dr. Fusion should also be no problem as the sample-set is fixed inside the instrument; you can not load additional samples in any way. To me that is the same as sample-based oscillators :D

I was just thinking to do something less electronic and more progrock-ish, so Dr. Fusion would be more suited for what I have in mind.

But if Dr. Fusion is out then Drumatic it is for me as well ;)

PM from hakey ...
Hi tattie,

I guess you'd be interested in prizes to give away for this new contest? How about a U-He ACE? I won the ZPC competition over on the U-He forum, the prize being a choice of U-He software - now I've already got all the U-He software that I need, so I asked Urs if the prize was transferable, explaining about this new contest you're running, and, generous as ever, he says he's happy for you to offer an ACE as a prize. So there you go! I hope that helps.
Wow! What can I say?? ... try :party: :party: :party: :hail: :hail: :hail: :clap: :clap: :tu: :tu: :tu: :wheee: :wheee: :wheee: :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:

:)

It helps, it helps!! :love:

That's very generous Hakey. :clap:

CW: I'm just asking as I thought Dr Fusion was a sampler/rompler playing back fixed and complete samples + your own with no real synthesis going on, and that wavetable stuff like SQ8L is different and do, but confess I don't know all that much about it. I see anyway Dr Fusion is listed as a synth here at KVR so I suppose that settles it.

V'ger wrote:I see anyway Dr Fusion is listed as a synth here at KVR so I suppose that settles it.
My sister is listed as a human being, still... :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”