Angry Samoans - Lights Out (cover)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cover of an old punk song: http://archive.org/download/fork-in-you ... 20mind.mp3

edit: replaced the drum sounds with a dry acoustic kit with a towel dampened snare. the overall timbre is closer to the original now but still missing the dynamics of the original. muted the acoustic guitars and adjusted the levels of the bass and electric guitars.
Last edited by Genetic_Junk on Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smth's telling me, that the title words "Lights out" in original were sang with much more expression...
Drums are plastic, thin and quiet, plus other misbalance there...
I'm not into guitars, but they seem to sound weak, arent they?
But anyway the attempt sounds above average ))

Medvedium wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:27 am Smth's telling me, that the title words "Lights out" in original were sang with much more expression...
Drums are plastic, thin and quiet, plus other misbalance there...
I'm not into guitars, but they seem to sound weak, arent they?
But anyway the attempt sounds above average ))
They were definitely signing louder in the original. I limit my signing volume to keep the peace with close by creatures. But covers don't always need to match the originals in every aspect. I'm pretty happy with the tone of the signing in the cover.

The drums are the weakest part of the cover. I would have really been happy to get the original's drum sound with samples. If anyone has suggestions on how to achieve that dry, dampened, punchy sound with samples, I would be very interested. There was too much room in the acoustic drum samples I have. I tried to use an amp envelope to cut out the room ambience, but I could not get it to sound natural. I mixed in dry electronic drum samples to mask the room sound, but I wasn't really happy with the result. I don't think the drums sound thin, but they fail to capture the energy of the original.

I think the guitars in the original are kind of shrill and brittle sounding and prefer the cover in that respect.

I've heard some pretty cool live covers from The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Pig Destroyer has a good cover too.

Thank you for listening and commenting.

Return to “Music Cafe”