[piano song] "sweet polyphony"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

The instrumental "sweet polyphony" ...

1. is overly complex
No votes
2. is still audible and pleasing
63%
3. needs more cowbell
38%

Total votes: 8

RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those interested in music theory: If you've always
wanted to know what "polyphony" really is, then you
can hear this:

Direct link: http://andy-enroe.bplaced.net/22_songs/ ... yphony.mp3

With animation: "Sweet Polyphony"
Note: This requires clicking the grey "play"-button.

"Polyphony" means the superimposition of two or
more independent voices. The term "independence"
indicates that each voice plays its own melody line.

In this instrumental "Sweet Polyphony" we took that to
the extreme; we wanted to see if it was possible to
design a largely polyphonic song in such a way that
it doesn't become esoterically complicated, but still
remains audible and pleasing. :?:

But listen for yourself and tell us whether the song is
already overly complex - or whether it is still accessible
to a "normal" listener.

:wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Few would call me “normal,” but I think it’s a good track. Every line seems to complement each other. If I were to have an issue it would be that it’s too quantized for my taste.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:33 pm Few would call me “normal,” but I think it’s a good track. Every line seems to complement each other.
Thank you! :)

If you compose the song yourself, you like to have this self-blindness. For example, when I listen to my own song again after several weeks, I'm often surprised at how bad it sounds. So here is this question for the auditorium.
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:33 pm If I were to have an issue it would be that it’s too quantized for my taste.
Ah yes, it might be a bit too "straight". We need to take a closer look at that.

I enjoyed it. I think the initial transients on the piano especially, but some of the other voices as well, could be softened a bit.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

the musical material is still audible and clearly hearable (classical fugues have often a higher polyphony) - so everything is fine!

the sound of the piano sounds a bit "hard" or too much as "midi" - it could be softened a bit and maybe get some "humanization". is this the right word? - it sounds a bit too perfect in terms of timing and velocity, what leads to a bit unnatural sound. and i couldn't resist: IT NEEDS MORE COWBELLS :D

so overall really nice material, with good independent voices.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

eassae wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:10 pm I enjoyed it. I think the initial transients on the piano especially, but some of the other voices as well, could be softened a bit.
Yeah, thank you!
I'll have a look at the eq and transients of the piano and the e-piano. :wink:

Enjoyable composition. Pleasant melody lines fits well together. Sounds nice

enroe,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: I could only get the video version to work, even with pressing on the grey play button. Sonic quality is good. The song has nice melodies. Nice slow down at the end. Nice song! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

It is a nice piece with a nice idea. Voted for middle option. Takes more to complain about polyphonic complexity for me. The spread is too wide for me, it turns too much into two tunes in each ear. Part of polyphony, imo, is to let it mangle and create a shared space as well as individual spaces. E.g. in the end of our tune Valkyrie, we let different themes that otherwise point in each their direction end in a massive sound wall. It is not supposed to be distinguished at this point, but rather be fused into a harmonic chaos. In your tune, I miss the shared space in the mix. Just my opinion, ofc. Should not be taken for more than this. However, I appreciate the idea. We need more melodies and polyphony in modern music. Recovery of the old arts.

Kind Regards
Gothi
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

tomtom1 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:42 am the musical material is still audible and clearly hearable (classical fugues have often a higher polyphony) - so everything is fine!

the sound of the piano sounds a bit "hard" or too much as "midi" - it could be softened a bit and maybe get some "humanization". is this the right word? - it sounds a bit too perfect in terms of timing and velocity, what leads to a bit unnatural sound. and i couldn't resist: IT NEEDS MORE COWBELLS :D

so overall really nice material, with good independent voices.
Thank you tomtom1, I really appreciate your feedback.

Sure, we'll see if a little more "odd" or "dirt" could elevate
the song and make it even livelier. Thanks for the hints and
suggestions!

8)

markkuja wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:58 pm Enjoyable composition. Pleasant melody lines fits well together. Sounds nice
Thank you, makkuja! :wink:

aaron aardvark wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:45 pm I could only get the video version to work, even with pressing on
the grey play button. Sonic quality is good. The song has nice
melodies. Nice slow down at the end. Nice song! :)
Ohh, I'm relieved. Thank you Aaron!

It is both audible and pleasing.

You ask whether the song is still accessible for a "normal" listener. I would have thought so, but I spend a disproportionate amount of time listening to Zappa, so I may not be the best judge in this instance.

Good work :)

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:33 am It is a nice piece with a nice idea. Voted for middle option. Takes more to complain about polyphonic complexity for me. The spread is too wide for me, it turns too much into two tunes in each ear. Part of polyphony, imo, is to let it mangle and create a shared space as well as individual spaces. E.g. in the end of our tune Valkyrie, we let different themes that otherwise point in each their direction end in a massive sound wall. It is not supposed to be distinguished at this point, but rather be fused into a harmonic chaos. In your tune, I miss the shared space in the mix. Just my opinion, ofc. Should not be taken for more than this. However, I appreciate the idea. We need more melodies and polyphony in modern music. Recovery of the old arts.

Kind Regards
Gothi
Hello Gothi,

thank you for your detailed statement.

Yes, one can imagine different concepts of how to continue and
possibly culminate several voices. We have a concept here in
which different polyphonic parts alternate and then transition
into an atmospheric part, which is also the climax. It is a kind
of "modular" concept.

The concept you suggested of continuing two voices continuously
and then merging them is also a very tempting way. It might
even be the harder way. And for you that is even the "natural
polyphonic" character.

Ultimately, the question is always - as with "Valkyrie" and with
any polyphonic approach - whether the finished song sounds so
coherent that the emotion comes across and that the listener
is not overwhelmed - hopefully.

Thank you for your expert advice! :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Song "Valkyrie": Indeed: many beautiful polyphonic
melodic lines occupying the same space, mainly placed in the
middle. In the last third, the polyphony is even more noticeable
- captivates the listener, then merges. Here, too, the overall
expression is successful, and an ethnically extensive atmosphere
is expressed. :tu:

enroe wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:07 am Song "Valkyrie": Indeed: many beautiful polyphonic
melodic lines occupying the same space, mainly placed in the
middle. In the last third, the polyphony is even more noticeable
- captivates the listener, then merges. Here, too, the overall
expression is successful, and an ethnically extensive atmosphere
is expressed. :tu:
Oh, thanks for your emphatic listening, it was just for illustration. :hug: I can tell you that much that the basic idea of starting from a focused point, then spread the voices into individuality just to let them merge again, dates as far back as to Palestrina. In his earlier modal style this is a basic pulse. He opens with unison or simple cadences, then empowers the themes with individuality, and merges the voices again by cadences. This balance between unity and individuality was also a reinterpretation of the authoritarian unity under God symbolized in strictly unison Gregorian chants. Now we could be different and still united under God. It is right into the heart of the renaissance and the birth of enlightenment and individualism. Take a listen and enjoy the beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZ_7dFbl1A
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Return to “Music Cafe”