Cannot install Waveform 13 on Ubuntu 24.04 Beta

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Hoping Figbug or another dev might see this. I've done a clean install of Ubuntu 24.04 Beta and am trying to install WF13 as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ./waveform13_13.0.33_amd64.deb 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'waveform13' instead of './waveform13_13.0.33_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 waveform13 : Depends: libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
It seems WF13 requires specifically libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0 but Ubuntu 24.04 has 4.1 and above:

sudo apt search libjavascriptcoregtk
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-bin/noble 2.44.0-2 all
  WebKitGTK JavaScript command-line interpreter (transitional dummy package)

libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0/noble,now 2.44.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK

libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-dev/noble 2.44.0-2 amd64
  JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK - development files

libjavascriptcoregtk-6.0-1/noble,now 2.44.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

libjavascriptcoregtk-6.0-dev/noble 2.44.0-2 amd64
  JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK - development files

libjavascriptcoregtk-bin/noble 2.44.0-2 amd64
  JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK - command-line interpreter
Is there any way this can be made to work as I'd imagine a lot of the Ubuntu based W13 users are likely to upgrade to the new LTS in coming weeks and months.

Thanks
Nick
Ryzen 5 8600G, 32GB DDR5, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, Waveform Pro 13, Mixbus Pro 10, Reaper 7, Bitwig 5.1.

I installed Waveform 13 on my Ubuntu setup (not 24.04 beta) and i seem to remember that I came across the same problem. To solve it I think I did "sudo apt install libjavascriptcoregtk" and Waveform then installed using GDebi.

dellboy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:45 pm I installed Waveform 13 on my Ubuntu setup (not 24.04 beta) and i seem to remember that I came across the same problem. To solve it I think I did "sudo apt install libjavascriptcoregtk" and Waveform then installed using GDebi.
Thanks. I think my problem is I already have it installed, but a version later than Waveform wants:

libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0/noble,now 2.44.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
Ryzen 5 8600G, 32GB DDR5, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, Waveform Pro 13, Mixbus Pro 10, Reaper 7, Bitwig 5.1.

There is an option to install a specific version of a package and there exist some examples where users could use this mechanism to eventually have different versions installed side by side and this indeed worked.

However, usually it is strongly warned against this, because most likely is that it will produce problems!

The best option would indeed be if the W13 .deb installer file would define to require the dependency as the version equal to or higher than a certain version.

In your case I would consult the changelog files of the dependency package and read if the package developers mention to have changed the behaviour of a function delivered in the new version. If it contains only bug fixes and additional functions, but no behavioural changes, then it might be the best to contact the Waveform developers by the support form on the tracktion website and report about your problem and investigations, not forgetting to kindly provide them the links to the package source and change log files for easing them to care for it.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

You might be able to edit the .deb files contents to change the required version of libjavascriptcoregtk.

To do so right click on the Waveform .deb file and choose ' open with other application' and then choose 'Archive manager '.

Goto --> control.tar.gz --> . --> control and open this file ( do not extract, just open with .. ) with gedit or your fav text editor and change the line ( highlighted in my image ) to libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0, then save this file and then run the installer again and hopefully you are good to go :)
Screenshot from 2024-04-12 19-05-41.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There might be a workaround, but definitely needs a fix on Tracktion's end... because not all Linux users will be able to work it around... if that makes sense.

Having said that, don't know if you already installed but... have you tried "sudo dpkg -i waveform-blah-blah.deb"?
Ryzen 5 3600 | 32GB DDR4 | Radeon RX 590 | Ubuntu 24.04 LTS - Windows 11 | Waveform 13 PRO | Bitwig 5.1 | VCV Rack 2 Free | Ardour

I have reported the issue to the developers just now, so hopefully the version requirement won't be hardcoded to version 4.0.18

Just replied to the other thread... but adding it here for consistency:

I bet you can satisfy the dependency by downloading and installing the .deb package from here:
[LINK REMOVED SEE BELOW]

And then try installing Waveform13.

[edited]
unholyeyebrows wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am
unholyeyebrows wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 am ...and it looks like manually downloading and installing libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18_2.42.1-2_amd64.deb is opening up a can of worms from a dependency perspective:
Ah, not so fast! I have found a newer version of this library here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/no ... 8/2.43.3-1

This downloads and installs fine, and Waveform13 is now installed too.

This suggests there appears to be an official version of this library on the Ubuntu Noble repository, but it does not show up in apt-get.
Last edited by dajonaga on Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ryzen 5 3600 | 32GB DDR4 | Radeon RX 590 | Ubuntu 24.04 LTS - Windows 11 | Waveform 13 PRO | Bitwig 5.1 | VCV Rack 2 Free | Ardour

mikoatkvr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:39 pm I have reported the issue to the developers just now, so hopefully the version requirement won't be hardcoded to version 4.0.18
Awesome - many thanks for doing that.

Many thanks dajonaga - I'll give your work-arounds a go and report back. Here's hoping however the Waveform .deb can be updated to allow for an easy install on 24.04 going forward.

This is just to add that I believe we have to keep in mind that we're trying to install on an unsupported OS version.

If memory serves... I think Figbug said the new baseline is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

In other words, you shouldn't/wouldn't have any troubles installing on officially supported operating systems. (Windows, macOS, Ubuntu or RaspberryPi OS)

Cheers.-

For reference:
Captura desde 2024-04-13 10-59-22.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hopefully theyll fix this soon . I plan on building new PC and dual booting, Windows11 and PopOS 24.04 soon . I know it hasn't been released yet Ubuntu 24.04 LTS or PopOS 24.04 lts , but will soon . I plan on trying to ween off of Windows

mikoatkvr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:10 pm You might be able to edit the .deb files contents to change the required version of libjavascriptcoregtk.

To do so right click on the Waveform .deb file and choose ' open with other application' and then choose 'Archive manager '.

Goto --> control.tar.gz --> . --> control and open this file ( do not extract, just open with .. ) with gedit or your fav text editor and change the line ( highlighted in my image ) to libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0, then save this file and then run the installer again and hopefully you are good to go :)

Screenshot from 2024-04-12 19-05-41.png
Just to confirm I have tried this work-around and whilst this allows WF13 to install, it will not run since the binary wants to open libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18. Here are my steps for reference:

dpkg-deb -R ./waveform13_13.0.37_amd64.deb  tmp
vi tmp/DEBIAN/control

change:
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18,
to
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0,

dpkg-deb -b tmp ./waveform13_13.0.37-NEW_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install ./waveform13_13.0.37-NEW_amd64.deb

Waveform13 
Waveform13: error while loading shared libraries: libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
So it looks like the most likely work-around is to manually download and install libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18, although I've not tried that yet.

...and it looks like manually downloading and installing libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18_2.42.1-2_amd64.deb is opening up a can of worms from a dependency perspective:

sudo apt-get install ./libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18_2.42.1-2_amd64.deb 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18' instead of './libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18_2.42.1-2_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 : Depends: libicu72 (>= 72.1~rc-1~) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I think I'll wait for an official fix.

dajonaga wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:01 pm This is just to add that I believe we have to keep in mind that we're trying to install on an unsupported OS version.

If memory serves... I think Figbug said the new baseline is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

In other words, you shouldn't/wouldn't have any troubles installing on officially supported operating systems. (Windows, macOS, Ubuntu or RaspberryPi OS)

Cheers.-

For reference:
Captura desde 2024-04-13 10-59-22.png
Just on this point, I do agree 22.04 is the new baseline. But I think I’m correct that previously it was 16.04 but WF installed fine on the later Ubuntu releases. Plus going forward I would expect most new Linux users to install 24.04 even if existing users might stick with 22.04 until support ends. Thanks.

Return to “Tracktion”