Velocity dependant dual EG configuration for TB303 emulation

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am currently trying to make a really accurate TB303 emulation in a mux. Does anyone know a way to trigger two envelope generators in a polysynth module (both set at 0 velocity sensitivity) where one EG only triggers when the velocity value is less than 64, whilst the other only triggers at a velocity more than 65. This essentially mimics accent or no accent. I have found that the EG velocity on its own cannot mimic the switch in depth and decay speed. Two EG's could achieve this very nicely with a velocity switch between the two. Any help appreciated :)
Aka Midland Synthetics

Can't you assign it to a meta parameter and set the min/max values?

Thanks, I'll try it. Also (just been reading mudocs) maybe a couple of note key velocity filters can act as a switch. Im not in front of mulab right now. I've got the sound about right but the accent note function is just as important. Im hoping that the legato and portamento functionality isn't upset by having two EG's but i wont know until i get it working.
Aka Midland Synthetics

If they only respond to a min or max velocity they shouldn't interfere with each other and shouldn't trigger at the same time, so shouldn't be an issue.

Just a draft idea: Use 2 Note Key/Vel Filters or 1 Note Zone Mapper outside PolySynth and route the 0-64 velocity event line to PolySynth Event Input 1 and the 64-127 velocity event line to PolySynth Event Input 2. Then in PolySynth use those 2 inputs as you want.

Thanks Jo, I made a non polysynth mux in the end, and I used two velocity filters successfully. I'm refining the mux right now. I'll upload it soon :)
Aka Midland Synthetics

mutools wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 am Just a draft idea: Use 2 Note Key/Vel Filters or 1 Note Zone Mapper outside PolySynth and route the 0-64 velocity event line to PolySynth Event Input 1 and the 64-127 velocity event line to PolySynth Event Input 2. Then in PolySynth use those 2 inputs as you want.
That doesnt seem to work Jo. The below is just a simple mux, 2 notes on the grid, one low velocity the other high
Screenshot 2024-05-15 212946.jpg
the second event input is not letting anything through, am I missing something ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Add another splitter, 0 to 0, change the (1) splitter to start at 1. Does that help?

Also, you're recombining all the events, in all the ports, aren't you? Why split them?

I was looking at FSM77s acid mux and trying Jo's suggestion of the 2 note,vel filters but couldnt get input 2 to work so as a test made that simple mux.

Maybe there could be a hybrid EG module which has two layers A or B; one triggers up to vel 64; the other triggers above vel 64. This EG might offer true legato by sliding between the value of A and B as they are triggered. I appreciate that this would be a step into niche feature request territory though. Sorry to be a pain, Jo.
Aka Midland Synthetics

Im at work at moment so cant try but what about the multi point EG, could that not do what you want?

bibz1st wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 am I was looking at FSM77s acid mux and trying Jo's suggestion of the 2 note,vel filters but couldnt get input 2 to work so as a test made that simple mux.
You've got input 1 and input 2 connected to every event input. For a start, stick event monitors on each to show what reaches them, then route them each to what they're meant to go to, rather than to everything.

OK, it looks like there could be a bug in the "Note Key/Vel Filter". I've set up 1-63 as my velocity range but a monitor connected to its event output shows all velocities being passed.

Yes even though both inputs were connected to all only notes with lower velocities were coming through as the notes on that grid showed so yea I think there must be a problem.

bibz1st wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:38 pm
mutools wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 am Just a draft idea: Use 2 Note Key/Vel Filters or 1 Note Zone Mapper outside PolySynth and route the 0-64 velocity event line to PolySynth Event Input 1 and the 64-127 velocity event line to PolySynth Event Input 2. Then in PolySynth use those 2 inputs as you want.
That doesnt seem to work Jo. The below is just a simple mux, 2 notes on the grid, one low velocity the other high. The second event input is not letting anything through, am I missing something ?
My draft idea indeed does not work as the PolySynth regards the first event input as the main once to control the voicing. Sorry for the wrong draft idea.

Return to “MUTOOLS”